2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Load C tires and a fifth wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 05:17 PM
hbarker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Load C tires and a fifth wheel

hey fellas, I am about to haul a small fifth wheel camper and have noticed load C tires on my truck.
I haul 100gl tank and lots of equipment regularly ,, cant believe Tiremax would even install those on my truck as you can see by looking at it I haul a good load .
So ,, do I need to replace them ,, or will they be ok to haul ?
they are 275/70/17's and still have lots of life left in them .

Old 06-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Pwall
Veteran

how much weight is the load, the tire has a max lb rating stamped on it so add the 4 wheels up subtract the weight of the truck and the remainder is the amount of the load it can handle whether it be in the bed or the tongue weight

Old 06-11-2011, 08:48 PM
hbarker
Professional

hmm, Ok says 2600lb at 50 psi. I best do some calculating.
my camper is 4600 dry.
I hope to stay under 6000 loaded, counting hitch. dont know what the truck weight is ?
4x4 quadcab

Old 06-11-2011, 10:04 PM
mrbubblemaker
Professional

Well your sorta right....you only need to add the actual weight that is applied to your truck by the downward force of the camper so take your truck and camper to the closest weight scale and get it weighed PER EACH AXLE..keep in mind the total gross vehicle weight allowed for your truck

Old 06-12-2011, 12:57 AM
Jpnorris87
Professional

Just about every half ton truck will have C rated tires on it. Even some of the 3/4 ton trucks will. The problem with these tires are the side walls. Tire can be bran new and blow out the side wall going down the road. I know it sucks, but if you plan on doing any kind of heavy towing, spend the money and get E series tires. E series tires are steel belted sidewalls. You can run them at about 55lbs for day to day driving and pump them up to 90 psi for towing.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:36 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if the load C tires were enough for the weight I wouldnt want to tow with them because they will tow like sh^t to much flex and sway, I never buy anything less than D range tires because of that. D range tires will probrably do it without a problem but if you plan on towing alot, I would go to E range.

How far are you going and is this gonna be a normal haul for your truck

Old 06-12-2011, 02:59 PM
hbarker
Professional

950 miles one way.. some times twice a summer.
getting across Texas is the worst part.

I am thinking the fifth wheel loaded will place about 1200 lbs at the most on my truck.
and I haul that much with my equipment for my work regularly.
(equipment comes out for camping)

I think I will shop for some tires.
Anyone recommend a nice looking , smooth ride, on/off road, 275/70/17 in a load E er D even.
I think the price of rubber is up there with silver WHOOOOoooo.

like to catch a sale price.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:05 PM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weight is carried by air, not the sidewalls of your tires. Running E's at 35psi doesn't give you any more load capacity than a B at 35psi. You are wasting your money buying new tires if you don't need it. Your truck is rated for C's because that is what your frame/suspension are rated for. Going with D's or E's isn't going to increase your weight capacity or ride quality. Bottom line, get what you need and nothing more.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:20 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would say as long as the rating on all 4 tires add up to more than your gvwr you should be good. i bought the cheapest tire i could find for my truck and the rating on them was 2180lbs per tire. just make sure you check your tire pressure after you have the trailer hooked up.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

The rears carry most of the weight, so, careful with you calcs.....

The idea behind higher load rating tires being use to haul the heavy stuff, is sidewall stiffness. The lower rated tires will have softer sidewalls, that will flex more under load, than a higher rated tire. Gets squirrely in corners and such.... also more affected by crosswinds.

Better to have more than you really need, than find out you don't have enough, and blow a tire while towing.

Quick Reply: Load C tires and a fifth wheel