2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bad sound coming from front mainly when turning right

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:50 PM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You can also drive test it, as a preliminary..... Find a nice straight stretch of road, don't have to go that fast. (25 is probably adequate to the task....) Drive the truck straight, and listen to how it sounds. Now, jerk a hard left, see if it sounds better/worse/the same. Do the same thing to the right. If the noise changes when you turn hard, the bearing opposite the direction of the turn is going to be the bearing you want to look at first. (noise gets worse turning in that direction.) Reason being is, when you turn, you are loading the outside wheel in the turn, which really works pretty good to get bad bearings to announce themselves.
Sounds like this is definitly what's going on. Before reading this I realized last nite if I jerked the whell to the right I would get noise. It seemed to do it very little to the left. Then today going to work it did it a little to the right but not a lot but still enought to notice. How much would said bearings cost?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,375 Likes on 3,116 Posts

Prices are all over the place. Anywhere from 70 bucks, to over 200 a pop. Check with your local parts store, see what they get for their least expensive lifetime warranty parts. Pay for it once, and that's it. (I love lifetime warranty......)

Old 06-28-2011, 10:56 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

Well driving home from work today everytime I turned right my truck sounded like **** and you could hear that noise but now tonight when coming home from the gym and all it would make any noise no matter what I do what the f! Any idea as to why or what's going on? Still wheel bearing?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,375 Likes on 3,116 Posts

Yep. Jack up the left side, and give the tire a shake. If it moves....... find out what's sloppy, and replace it. Having your steering give out, or, a wheel fall off, while you are USING it, is a bit more excitement than I really care for......

Old 06-29-2011, 12:31 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

I wrote my last post wrong. The truck made noise when I was coming home from work but when I went to the gym I couldnt get it to make noise at all no matter what I did. then on the way home the noise came back if i duddenly jerked the wheel to the rite. It also then made noise again when I got food after the gym when i was making right turns. Why does it make it sometimes and other time does not????? Any ideas whats going on?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 AM
BamaRam97
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably because after you drive it for a little while it gets hot and the bearing starts to expand as all metals do.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What color is the truck?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:04 AM
OLE BLUE97
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jack up the front end. grab the tires by the top and bottom and shake it as hard as you can. grab the sides now and repeat. if there is play, check for slop in your steering. no slop in steering then its most ikely your whee bearing.

but seriously, it has the characteristics of a bad wheel bearing. is your truck lifted with aftermarket wheels?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:13 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

Originally Posted by OLE BLUE97
jack up the front end. grab the tires by the top and bottom and shake it as hard as you can. grab the sides now and repeat. if there is play, check for slop in your steering. no slop in steering then its most ikely your whee bearing.

but seriously, it has the characteristics of a bad wheel bearing. is your truck lifted with aftermarket wheels?
No its ghetto rigged. Damn near bald be foodrich 265s on the rear a brand new michellin 245 on the front left and a brand new firestone 245 on the front rite. Dealer did this awesome fix. Was thinking of just throwing a set of 31s or 33s on the truck. It doesn't have a lift as far as I no. I have a jeep wranglers 35s 4 in suspension which is really 5 and after all the expenses you occur with a lifted vehicle I don't have any intention of lifting this one. I havnt checled for body or anything but I don't believe it is. It does sit a little higher then my buddies f 150 I think his is an 2009 or 2008

Old 06-29-2011, 11:14 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
What color is the truck?
Black.

Quick Reply: bad sound coming from front mainly when turning right