2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bad sound coming from front mainly when turning right

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:54 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok cool, just wondering. Now stop paying people when you have a lot of tools

Old 06-29-2011, 09:45 PM
OLE BLUE97
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
What color is the truck?
Originally Posted by mgaither0
Black.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:04 PM
OLE BLUE97
Professional

well I had the truck inspected at a local shop today. It cost 70 for the inspection which wasnt to bad. Then the list of problems they found. 1. the drag link needs to be replaced inthe front suspension. 2. the truck needs an alignment 3.the left upper ball joint 4. right front wheel bearing. 5. Left front wheel brake hardware 6. left tag light bulb (but its actucally the wiring harness) 7. exterior mirrors have blind spot mirrors on them. 8. windshield wipers do not park properly where they do not stop at the bottom they stop whereever they want. so the motor needs to be replaced. 9. the windshield has chips on it 3 all in one little spot so the windshield needs to be fixed or replaced. 10. missing a lug nut. FML!
THE Mechanic said the sound I heard was the brake shifting and hitting the rim. He said the truck suprizing drove very smooth which was an extreme suprize being that so many suspension parts are screwed up.

sounds like your mech wants to screw you over. he states that the right front wheel bearing is bad, but the brakes hitting your wheel is whats making that noise? uhh no! hes just trying to get an extra 50 smackers from you

Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Our brakes are exactly the same as GM brakes. The only 'clip' I remember is an anti-rattle clip...... hold the pads in place when you are NOT on them, so they don't make funny noises. In all reality, the clips aren't really necessary. (ok, mine are basically GM brakes in front.... but, I doubt the half ton systems are much different.) I think your mechanic is feeding you a line....

Not to mention that disk brakes are really simple to deal with.....

Old 06-29-2011, 10:47 PM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone offer me any insight or a write up or two of how to replace the ball joints and the wheel bearing? I've looked in haynes manual but have come to the conclusion that the haynes manual sucks and it tells u how to do a 2 wheel drive older then 99 which doesnt do **** for a 4 wheel drive 2001. thanks haynes

Old 06-29-2011, 10:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Grab the 01 service manual from the faq section here. It will have the info you need.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:20 AM
95BIGRED
Professional

wheel bearing is easy

remove tire, remove caliper, remove rotor, take out cotter pin, take off castle nut, take off three bolts on backside of wheel bearing, using a thinner chisel or something, hammer chisel in small amounts into the three corners, separate from shaft. install new and reverse the process. might as well do u joints while your in there. i think you may have 4 wheel abs, if so there will be a wire you need to undo as well. i found my wheel bearings on amazon for 50$ just do the research.

Last edited by 95BIGRED; 06-30-2011 at 12:21 AM. Reason: stupid fingers
Old 06-30-2011, 12:22 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Our brakes are exactly the same as GM brakes. The only 'clip' I remember is an anti-rattle clip...... hold the pads in place when you are NOT on them, so they don't make funny noises. In all reality, the clips aren't really necessary. (ok, mine are basically GM brakes in front.... but, I doubt the half ton systems are much different.) I think your mechanic is feeding you a line....

Not to mention that disk brakes are really simple to deal with.....
The mechanic is straight trust me on that. He even told me I could go to pep boys and get the kit and do it myself I just don't understand wtf he is talking about. My buddy said he belives its shims. Now I just have to figure out how to change these damn bearings and ball joints

Old 06-30-2011, 01:14 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Grab the 01 service manual from the faq section here. It will have the info you need.
how do i do this? not having any luck

Old 06-30-2011, 08:06 AM
95BIGRED
Professional

Quick Reply: bad sound coming from front mainly when turning right