2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 12:10 AM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Replacement

Name:  IMAG0854.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  64.3 KB

Here's my fuel pump. Got a new Delphi waiting. Any tips on how to not break the electrical connecters and the two hoses. They look very stubborn.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:19 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the bed to give yourself more room to work with.

not sure how much you know....but if you dont know.....pull that lil red tab out first

Old 08-01-2011, 02:45 AM
96magnumram
Professional

Yep...every truck I have had to replace the pump on, I have raised the bed...much easier than droppin the tank.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:34 AM
qlty94
Rookie

Go to YouTube put your truck in search box there are some videos that show some info.One I looked at might have been a Chevy but might work is they leave the two rear most bolts loose but not out to act as a hinge as they raise the bed up to get at the pump sort of like a dump truck,this way you can leave the light wires in tact. Wondering if any one did that on a dodge??

Old 08-01-2011, 10:51 AM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

Well when i jack m y truck up high enough i can sit right inbetween the gas tank and wheel well and get right to those cables and hoses, what I cannot find is how to remove those. One hose i believe the whole top pops off as the new fuel pump has an open hole where one goes. The electrical connector I know you move the red tab over to unlock which I did but i cant seem to press down and get the connector to release. What about the other hose,is that a quick connect?? How does that hose come off. Was confused about there being 6 wires and my new pump only having 4 till i read a TSP :

http://www.airtexproducts.com/TSB/TSB-0206-01_ATX.pdf

Anyway I know that raising the bed would be easier but Im not in a shop and I dont have a couple guys to help me move it or saw horses to put it on, so I have to drop it. Since you guys have replaced the fuel pump can you explain how to get off the two hoses and wire?

Old 08-01-2011, 11:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

The hose in the left is a vacuum line. (in your picture.) there should just be a little clamp on it. It's been on there for just this side of forever though, so, it prolly has a pretty good grip on the nipple..... Twist it back and forth a bit to get it to break loose, and then carefully pull it off. (twisting a bit while pulling helps.

The electrical connector... yeah, pull the red tab as far as it will go, then push the connector IN, squeeze the tab, and try and pull the connector out. They too, can be a bit stubborn.

You need a special tool for the fuel line. Called quick release, or spring lock tool, or something similar, I believe it is 3/8ths..... parts store will have 'em for sale. The tool 'wraps' around the line, and has 'ears' that insert into the connection, to release the spring clips. Hold the tool as far into the connector as you can, push the connector onto the fitting a bit more, then pull straight back. Should release fairly easily.... Should.....

The part that the fuel line hooks to, is the filter/pressure regulator. Your new pump should have come with that as well, if it didn't, go get one.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:10 AM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

HEY YOU TO THE RESCUE!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Delph...mZ160570440000

There is my new fuel pump. See it has the elctrical connector and the Fuel line assembly in it. But it has a hole for the vacuum line one. Should I just pop that whole plug up instead of taking the hose off HeyYou? Good to know about the tool now huh. Better go get one. The electrical connector is being so freaking stubborn I broke off the front of the plastic tab that goes into the connector. Still cant get the rest of the assembly out darnit!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

That part is part of the vapor recover system. Yeah, just transfer it over. If you can just pull it from the current sending unit, and leave the vacuum line attached, that would prolly work fairly well too.

If there isn't a lot of gas in your tank, you could try lowering it a bit, to give you more room to play in there.... Or, pull the bed bolts, and jack the bed up a bit..... Either way, whichever is easier.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:12 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

Wanted to DIY, but now im feeling like it would be better to bring it to someone who can jack the whole bed off, or lift the truck in the air and drop the tank. What is a fair price (just labor) to get this replaced? I was trying to do this in the driveway and it seemed like it was going to be straight forward until i couldn't get either of those three guys off. Electrical connector frozen, vacuum tube didn't want to pull (guess i have to pull the whole vacuum assembly up and pop it out) and the fuel line I couldnt of gotten off without the tool, so I was dead in the water before i even dropped the tank. The electrical i could have cut and spliced in, vacuum can pop off, but the fuel line would have given me problems for sure

Last edited by TheycallmeLaramie; 08-01-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:39 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

labor rates differ from state to state. And each job has a set number of hours to complete it via a computer system.

You are probably looking at 250 dollars plus the price of the part. I would say about 375-450. As opposed to about 150 if you get the part yourself and do the work.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Replacement