2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NEED HELP ASAP, Truck clunked out on me.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 AM
HDRAMman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP ASAP, Truck clunked out on me.....

So, my everyday driver clunked out on me on Saturday. 2001 ram 2500. Driven down the hwy, doin 70, AC on and cruse control on, radio blaring (I was headed to the trails to go ride my quad). All of the sudden my cruse control kicks off or so I think, but the RPMS drop and it just starts to runlike complete crap, clanking and putting, so I pull over to the side of the road and it dies. Try to start is back up and nothing?

I get it towed back to my barn and check the spark, it there but looks kinda weak to me, (not familur with how it suppose to look thou.) Its gettin gas and the air is gettin in there.....I check all my plug wire and gave it an over all look over and it all looks fine. It will crank over just not fire up?

Where all should I look? I had no time on Sunday to mess with it, had work to do. I plan to look it over some more this week. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Possibly weak spark, failed cam position sensor, failing crank sensor (but, you are getting spark....) insufficient fuel pressure, insufficient battery voltage?

Old 08-01-2011, 12:33 PM
HDRAMman
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Possibly weak spark, failed cam position sensor, failing crank sensor (but, you are getting spark....) insufficient fuel pressure, insufficient battery voltage?
any way to check if the spark is "weak" or not? where is the can position sensor? Can it be checked? Fuel pressure i think is fine, it shoots out of the fuel rails just fine. I'll check the battery, but I charged it all day Saturday and still got nothing when I tried to crank it Sat night.

It was just so weird, drivin down the road fine, then all of the sudden.

Thanks for the advice, anything else is a big help! Lack of time to diagnose it all is a pain.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:37 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fuel pressure will shoot out of the rails at 20 PSI and 49 PSI (What you should be running).

Just take it to a shop and have them fix it. Otherwise you will need to buy tools and gauges to diagnose the problem.

You could spend more by buying the tools and just replacing sensors that we recommend you check. They are not cheap sensors.

Take the truck in.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:49 PM
HDRAMman
Professional

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
fuel pressure will shoot out of the rails at 20 PSI and 49 PSI (What you should be running).

Just take it to a shop and have them fix it. Otherwise you will need to buy tools and gauges to diagnose the problem.

You could spend more by buying the tools and just replacing sensors that we recommend you check. They are not cheap sensors.

Take the truck in.
I have access to a diagnose machine if needed. I will check the fuel pressure tonight, thanks for that info.

Not only do I save money by doing things myself, I also enjoy working on my truck........when I can find time.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:00 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163

Take the truck in.
Come on this is what a forum is for so he doesnt have to take it in to the shop.

Check the pressure at the rail

you should have metal rails that have a test port and makes it really easy to check it, need around 49psi if your not getting that time for a new pump.

also try beating on the gas tank and see if that will get it to start if so then definantely new pump

Old 08-01-2011, 05:28 PM
HDRAMman
Professional

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
Come on this is what a forum is for so he doesnt have to take it in to the shop.

Check the pressure at the rail

you should have metal rails that have a test port and makes it really easy to check it, need around 49psi if your not getting that time for a new pump.

also try beating on the gas tank and see if that will get it to start if so then definitely new pump
Thnaks man. The pump is new, as of this past winter, and first thing I did when It clunked out was bang on the gas tank. Fuel pressure tester? Something I can rent form autozone I'm hoping?

I'm leaning toward this being an electrical issue. God knows my truck has had enough of them.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Yeah, I think electrical issues were on sale from 94 to 01........

What brand pump?

Old 08-02-2011, 01:06 PM
HDRAMman
Professional

Welp it was the coil. I did rent a pressure guage, read at 46psi Least on the gauge I got.

For whatever reason I couldn't imagine the coil just saying, "F this, I'm out" and die like that. Strange but I suppose it happens.

Thnaks for the pointers guys.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP ASAP, Truck clunked out on me.....