2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

steering still stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:47 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the pump, i recently replace my gearbox and had to turnaround and replace the pump 2. I dont know why i didnt suggest it

Old 10-17-2011, 10:47 PM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so when you jack up the front everything moves easily and when you lower it down it binds?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:48 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by John D in CT
"i figured if the pump was bad then fluid wouldnt be moving through the lines".

A functioning power steering pump puts out 1,000+ PSI. Fluid will move through the lines at 1 PSI. Simple enough to test how much pressure it's putting out.

so if its just pushing out a small stream its bad? or should it be shooting out with some pretty good force?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:52 PM
John D in CT
Veteran

Originally Posted by sam_priem
so if its just pushing out a small stream its bad? or should it be shooting out with some pretty good force?
It's more about the pressure it puts out when it's called on to do so; sure, it has to flow x amount of fluid per x amount of time, but when you open the high pressure side the pump can't really build up any pressure, so a bad one might seem to flow as much as a good one. That's why you need to test it with a gauge that can offer resistance.

(And again - was it acting this way before you replaced the steering box?)

"so when you jack up the front everything moves easily and when you lower it down it binds?"

I think the jury is still out on whether or not anything is binding; I just don't think the pump has enough *** to move the wheels when they're on the ground.

Last edited by John D in CT; 10-17-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:03 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

It's more about the pressure it puts out when it's called on to do so; sure, it has to flow x amount of fluid per x amount of time, but when you open the high pressure side the pump can't really build up any pressure, so a bad one might seem to flow as much as a good one. That's why you need to test it with a gauge that can offer resistance.

(And again - was it acting this way before you replaced the steering box?)

"so when you jack up the front everything moves easily and when you lower it down it binds?"

I think the jury is still out on whether or not anything is binding; I just don't think the pump has enough *** to move the wheels when they're on the ground.

thats what im thinking but ive driven vehicles without power steering and once youre going about 45 or so its easy to steer. however with mine it doesnt matter how fast im moving its the same all the time. its equaly as hard to turn at a stand still as it is moving. thats whats confusing me.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:17 PM
John D in CT
Veteran

From my experience, vehicles with power steering that have lost the "power" part are ten times harder to turn than vehicles with manual steering, whether you're going 5 MPH or 50.

And at the risk of being annoying: was it acting this way before you replaced the steering box?

(And is the belt on?)

Old 10-17-2011, 11:23 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

From my experience, vehicles with power steering that have lost the "power" part are ten times harder to turn than vehicles with manual steering, whether you're going 5 MPH or 50.

And at the risk of being annoying: was it acting this way before you replaced the steering box?

(And is the belt on?)
yes it was acting this way before i put the steering gear in. and yes the belt is on.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:24 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

My bet is on the pump as well. It can move fluid, but it may not pressure up enough, as stayed before. Did you try bleeding the system? It could be air in the steering box or pump.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Jack up the front of the truck, unlock the steering, do not start the motor. Turn the wheel. How much effort does it take? Ok, now, start the engine, turn the wheel. Same amount of effort? Replace the pump.

How did you go about bleeding the air out of the system?

Old 10-17-2011, 11:33 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

the OP's problem started in another post guys. he hit a bump and steering locked up. he took off his draglink and column and found the gear box was locked up

Quick Reply: steering still stuck