2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

where to get front brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011 | 09:21 PM
2000ramsport
|
Professional
Question where to get front brake lines?

My 2000 ram 1500 sport has rusted front brake lines and I dont really trust them looks like the could spring a leak anytime cause theres so much rust of them they are rusted from near the front wheels all the way up to where they go near the engine.Are these breakes lines a dealer only item?Cause I cant seem to find a parts store that sells them.anyone know where I can get them besides the dealer?Im looking for the whole set up from the front wheel to where the lines go near the engine.thanks

Last edited by 2000ramsport; 10-25-2011 at 01:13 AM. Reason: m
Old 10-25-2011 | 03:26 AM
devious duck

i found a site that was advertised on powerblock. www.classictubes.com They seem to have a lot of stuff when it comes to brake lines.

Old 10-25-2011 | 09:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Erm..... Why not just get some sections of straight tubing, and just hand bend your own new lines? They are only a few bucks per section, much cheaper than the custom bent stuff, and it really isn't that hard to bend them up yourself. I never buy pre-bent lines. But then, I am just cheap.

Old 10-25-2011 | 10:18 AM
mat68046

I needed to do the same thing with my '01. First trip was to the JY where I found a low-mileage truck with awesome lines. Scavenged those for next to nothing $...saved time and money there, and retained OEM bended lines which always look better. Got the master to ABS and ABS to junction blocks on the frame (5 lines). Made the rear axle supply (can't see that one...) from 3/16" coil line available at any auto parts supplier, provided you have the tubing tools. I suggest removing the old frame line and using the remaining clips as tie-downs for the brake tube, using some cut and sliced bits of rubber fuel line as insulators.
Found this site amazing to get OEM parts including hard lines: http://www.wholesalemopar.com/parts_catalog.html. They have the rear axle pre-bent lines and front axle hose assemblies as well as the front axle crossover line...
Use the parts manual available on this forum to get the p/n's you need and plug them right into the wholesale site.

Old 10-25-2011 | 04:23 PM
peshewa
Veteran

Truth is, it is easy to make your own hard lines if you buy the steel tubing. It is available in straight sections or you can get a roll for cheap also. You will need a flaring tool, cheap btw. The first time I did it I was nervous, but I got really good at making perfect flares. They can rust from the outside, but also from the inside if the brake fluid is not flushed regurally. They rust from the inside out because brake fluid is hygroscopic. That means that brake fluid tries to suck in atmospheric moisture all the time. When it absorbs enough moisture, it makes the brake fluid look rusty colored because it is literally liquid rust in the lines. I flush mine ever year or 2 just as regular maintenence. If you make your own lines, beware that some parts stores tell you you need a double flare tool, this is not commonly the case. All RAM brake lines that I have touched so far are all single flare up to 2004 in my personal experience. Putting a double flared connection on a single flared connection can cause a blow out & instantly zero brakes. I hope this was not too much info, but if you search this forum, you will see some great threads on making your own hard brake lines. Good luck!

Old 10-25-2011 | 08:20 PM
Overstreet
Professional

If I'm not mistaken I believe it is double flared

Old 10-25-2011 | 08:21 PM
Overstreet
Professional

When I did mine it was bubble flares and double flares

Old 10-25-2011 | 09:12 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

You can get your lines directly from dodge. After my rear line failed by the gas tank, I replaced them all. You can get all of the lines for ~150 pre bent ready to rock and roll. I did forget to order one line, and had to make that one. Consequently... it is the one that gave me the most trouble with wanting to leak. Also bending your own never turns out as clean as pre-bent.

Old 10-26-2011 | 03:06 PM
2000ramsport
|
Professional

so your saying I can get them from a dodge dealer for 150 for both sides?thanks

Old 10-26-2011 | 04:21 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by 2000ramsport
so your saying I can get them from a dodge dealer for 150 for both sides?thanks
I didn't realize you were looking for just the fronts. I was talking about all the hard lines on my truck. Figure about $25/ hardline.

Quick Reply: where to get front brake lines?