2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fixing previous owner's damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:06 PM
5.9FullTime
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing previous owner's damage

Well, I recently got myself a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9 L.

I paid $2250 for her with 253,000 miles on the body, but 30,000 on the engine and 50,000 on the trans. It's an Indiana truck, and rust on the body is minimal. The previous owner, however, did an extremely poor job of maintaining it, as I soon found out.

The first thing that became evident to me is that she needed brakes..badly. After checking pads, rotors, and drums, I found the problem. The brake line had ruptured where it was tucked in between the gas tank and the frame, and he had attempted to repair it using a piece of rubber hose and two hose clamps. So, needless to say, it was peeing brake fluid every time I would hit the brakes.

The second thing that I noticed was that it had that lovely perfume of gas. Not only that, but it seemed to be leaking it.

The final, most obvious thing, was that it was loud, and had two oxygen sensor codes.

Hmm..so let's see: Essentially, I was driving a loud, ticking bomb that didn't like to stop. Okay, that's it, up on jack stands she goes.

First step was to pull the tank, which was held up by one gas tank harness and one ratchet strap. Came down without an issue, except that the little tip of the fuel tank vent valve snapped off. Okay, add that to the parts list. After running new brake lines and bleeding them, she should be stopping just fine. Second step was addressing the gas leak. This involved purchasing a new filler neck, fuel sending unit gasket, and new vent valve. Finally, I found that the section of pipe right after the cat where the rear O2 sensor goes was replaced with a piece of Autozone flexible pipe, and had no O2 sensor plugged into it at all.

So here's my questions for you guys:
1. Any idea where to find that fuel tank vent valve? I've called Autozone, NAPA, and 3 junkyards and none of them had one.
2. Any idea's about that piece of exhaust piping? Am I best off replacing just the pipe, or replacing the entire exhaust system cat-back? The exhaust is in pretty rough shape and rotting through in sections.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help you can give!

Old 11-14-2011, 03:14 PM
biggreen2500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you answer your question for the exhaust if its not in that good of shape yes replace it all and then you don't and won't have to mess with it again

i didnt find anything online about the fuel vent valve.... I'm sure other people on here will chime in soon with that info

Old 11-14-2011, 03:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

If you have both pieces, can you just glue the vent back together?

Old 11-14-2011, 03:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Rockauto? Dealer? It's possible that you have to replace the entire sending unit, which would suck...... There are parts manuals in the FAQ section, grab the one for your year, and see if you can find the part number.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:26 PM
5.9FullTime

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you have both pieces, can you just glue the vent back together?
That thought came to mind, too, but unfortunately the tip is MIA.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:37 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you can't find the vent pm me I have two extra here that I could mail out to you.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:41 PM
jdh0921
Amateur

This is a noob question (I'm still learning myself), but is this different than the rollover valve thats on the sending unit?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
If you can't find the vent pm me I have two extra here that I could mail out to you.
Now that is a deal!!!

Old 11-14-2011, 07:05 PM
chadhager03
Captain

I'm pretty sure thats what he's talking about, and I was able to wrap a piece of rubber tubing around it because it only needs to hold one psi, but that could be why I still have an emissions leak cel

Quick Reply: Fixing previous owner's damage