2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sct help/questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 09:29 AM
DodgeLooney00
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSS
There are a few good exhaust shops up here in ocala if you feel like driving. I paid $225 to have true duals and tips welded on.
The whole system? did you have to supply the parts?

Old 12-29-2011, 09:48 AM
SilverSS
Captain

He cut just before the cat and ran duals off of the factory pipe. The $225 included everything although I Just got glasspacks and they're cheap. Im sure you could take your own mufflers and cat and he could do it pretty cheap. Mine is also 2 1/4 pipe. I know he can't bend anything over 2 1/2 inch pipe with his bender and it's a crush type so if you wanted mandrel bent pipe you'd have to buy a kit.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

He cut just before the cat and ran duals off of the factory pipe. The $225 included everything although I Just got glasspacks and they're cheap. Im sure you could take your own mufflers and cat and he could do it pretty cheap. Mine is also 2 1/4 pipe. I know he can't bend anything over 2 1/2 inch pipe with his bender and it's a crush type so if you wanted mandrel bent pipe you'd have to buy a kit.
Not to criticize but 2 1/4 non mandrel bent duals with factory y pipe?
With or without a cat or glasspacks I cant see that having any performance advantage over a stock exhaust except being louder?
Something like that would seem counterproductive if the OP is going to do any of the mods he mentioned in another thread... Just trying to put things into perspective..

Old 12-29-2011, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
With or without a cat or glasspacks I cant see that having any performance advantage over a stock exhaust except being louder?
Something like that would seem counterproductive if the OP is going to do any of the mods he mentioned in another thread... Just trying to put things into perspective..
Depends on where the down pipes were cut. If you cut them while they are still at full diameter, (before the cat by a couple inches.) it would definitely make a difference.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Depends on where the down pipes were cut. If you cut them while they are still at full diameter, (before the cat by a couple inches.) it would definitely make a difference.
I'm confused? isnt there only one pipe after the y pipe merges them together on a 98? I know in the 96 we have a two into one cat but he is stating they left the restrictive factory y and just cut off where the single in/out cat was and somehow split it back into two throttled down 2 1/4 pipes? since they are not mandrel bent the bends would make 2 1/4" pipe even more restrictive than factory pipes? especially with two y pipes?
unless he cut off the y pipe and ran straight duals from down pipes...but even that has been proven to not perform as well as an x pipe setup to balance things out and help scavenging?

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-29-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 AM
DodgeLooney00
Rookie

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
I'd have to agree with you there. The 5.9's too many cubes for a 2 1/4. I'd have that on the 3.9, not a V8 though.... but if I bring my own parts, you think it'll be cheaper? How fast does the guy work? because if i'm driving that far, it'd have to be a 1 day thing...

Old 12-29-2011, 01:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 12-29-2011, 01:57 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Thanks for the link Zman- I knew it was around here somewhere . IMO unless you're going to do some SERIOUS mods to your 5.9 2 1/4 duals is plenty. Here's a chart I found. Yes there is of course a great difference in sound but it did pick up some power as well. Remember also the factory pipe connecting to the manifolds is only 2'.

http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how...pipe-diameter/

Years ago when I bought my 94 Mustang GT it had Flowmaster 40's on it dumped before the rear axle. I eventually got tired of dumps and ran 2 1/2 pipes out the back. I noticed it picked up quite a bit more torque on the bottom end.

Last edited by SilverSS; 12-29-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:01 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Originally Posted by DodgeLooney00
I'd have to agree with you there. The 5.9's too many cubes for a 2 1/4. I'd have that on the 3.9, not a V8 though.... but if I bring my own parts, you think it'll be cheaper? How fast does the guy work? because if i'm driving that far, it'd have to be a 1 day thing...
He did mine in a day. I just dropped it off in the morning and picked it up in the afternoon. Not trying to discourage you from coming up here but are there any custom exhaust shops closer? It'd probably cost you $80 in gas to drive this far lol I can PM you the # to the shop if you like and you can talk to him.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Thanks for the link Zman- I knew it was around here somewhere . IMO unless you're going to do some SERIOUS mods to your 5.9 2 1/4 duals is plenty. Here's a chart I found. Yes there is of course a great difference in sound but it did pick up some power as well. Remember also the factory pipe connecting to the manifolds is only 2'.

http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how...pipe-diameter/

Years ago when I bought my 94 Mustang GT it had Flowmaster 40's on it dumped before the rear axle. I eventually got tired of dumps and ran 2 1/2 pipes out the back. I noticed it picked up quite a bit more torque on the bottom end.
thanks...some good info...makes me feel better about my recent chioce. What about what I've read in regards to true duals being inferior to an x pipe setup?