2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sct help/questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
thanks...some good info...makes me feel better about my recent chioce. What about what I've read in regards to true duals being inferior to an x pipe setup?
The X or H pipe fools the exhaust into thinking the collectors are actually longer than what they really are, and is good for bottom end. If you were building a 'race' truck, you would skip that part..... as it kinda bites you up top.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It's not we have race motors but an X or H pipe, with the o2 in the center will read both banks, not just one.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The X or H pipe fools the exhaust into thinking the collectors are actually longer than what they really are, and is good for bottom end. If you were building a 'race' truck, you would skip that part..... as it kinda bites you up top.
good to know... I know they said true duals performed poorly in the corvette and vw forums when this came up. (I totally see why with an air cooled boxer vw with pipes being so short. )

Old 12-29-2011, 04:31 PM
SilverSS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I've really wondered about the X pipe hurting top end power. Personally I don't care for the sound of the X over true duals. I talked to several exhaust companies and they never really gave me a difinitive answer; and I couldn't really find an answer online. I've got 3' exhaust with long tubes and an X pipe on my Monte. It has a 3000 stall converter that flashes to about 4700 behind the big block. I would really rather take the X pipe out; I don't need bottom end lol. If it wouldn't hurt performance then it's coming out! Here's a vid of my baby; it's the silver Monte
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mNX-...ja9Pt0mLAtdefc

Old 12-29-2011, 04:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

The silver one right?

Yeah, for your purposes there, lose the x pipe.

The x or h pipe helps with scavenging at lower RPM. NOT exactly what you really need with a big block..... I'm thinkin' bottom end is the least of your worries.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:19 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How did my thread about the SCT turn into someone elses exhaust thread? I wasnt asked for permission on this.

GET OUT!!

Last edited by kejobe; 12-29-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kejobe
How did my thread about the SCT turn into someone elses exhaust thread? I wasnt asked for permission on this.

GET OUT!!
lol... original subject was stale and played out....

Old 12-29-2011, 06:48 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

And solved, so...ehhh, what the h*ll.

You may proceed. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, thats nice. <name those lines.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:35 PM
SilverSS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol sorry about that! On another note I got my SCT a few days ago and love it! Only ran the 87 tune so far but just filled it up tonight with 93 so going to give that a shot tomorrow I put the 87 tune on the truck with about 1/2 tank of fuel and romped on it more than usual. MPG avg was 11.2- up already from it's normal 10.5!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:25 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kejobe

GET OUT!!

I kept wondering the same thing...then forgot...then wondered again. I just wrote it off as my oldtimers kicking in again....and then I forgot.....What was I saying?