2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenty of evidence of plenum problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 AM
woodtrucker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plenty of evidence of plenum problem

i did the magnet on a stick test and she stuck and when I pulled the magnet out. it looked a little something like this....
Plenty of evidence of plenum problem-nooilonastick.jpg

Plenty of evidence of plenum problem-oilonastick.jpg

I think this is where my oil is going! Also have a vacuum leak to track down too! Excited about getting my dodge running like a top! Who knows how long it will stay that way!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The magnet sticking does not mean bad plenum gasket. It means the pan is the stock steel one.

The oil...theres you evidence of a bad plenum gasket.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Why 2 threads about the same topic and same person? yeah, your gonna get lashed for housekeeping slack.

(request to merge HeyYou or other Mod)

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...urpldodge.html

Kejobe's first statement is right, however, the second is unproven still. Amount and type of oil condition plays a part in assessing the plenum gasket. Don't forget the purpose of that pesky PCV valve my friend.

Here is a thread to denote prime examples of UNBROKEN/BROKEN gaskets showing oil on the plate.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...s-post-up.html

We need to be careful about diagnosis on this item since its good deal of labor.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you see the tip of the magnet? From the looks of that, I sould say its gone.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:52 PM
CharlieSheenWins
Professional

i love the name you gave the picture...oilonastick

but yea thats not just oil down there thats sludge, which definitely sounds like a bad plenum to me

Old 01-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieSheenWins
i love the name you gave the picture...oilonastick

but yea thats not just oil down there thats sludge, which definitely sounds like a bad plenum to me
oil from pvc mixed with dirty air from an improperly sealed or damaged air filter can cause that "sludge" as well.... too bad their wasnt an easy pressure test to rule out the blown gasket..or at least something that can be measured with the intake manifold pressure sensor.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 PM
CharlieSheenWins
Professional

^^ i did not know that..i learn something everyday on here lol

Old 01-11-2012, 01:40 PM
woodtrucker
Professional

to whiteknuckle, yeah. probably shouldn't have posted twice about it. my bad. Yes I know that the magnet stick means it's steel and needs replacing. I will replace the pcv when I do the plenum fix.
As for the my determination, I feel like since I have to add a 1.5 qts of oil/1000 miles tells me the oil is going somewhere and it's not leaking from valve covers although plug #8 (assuming that's the rear passenger side cylinder) is leaking a little oil tells me the cat is clogged too which can be a result of bad plenum too from what I researched on here.I thought that the intake manifold having that much sludge directly under the throttle body would indicate more oil even further back so I was hoping for a consensus here on the thread. truck has 116k miles so I wouldn't think the oil leak at #8 would be from a worn out motor but I'm not expert on it but learning a lot from the forum. Thanks everybody for the contributions here! Love the DF!

Old 01-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by woodtrucker
to whiteknuckle, yeah. probably shouldn't have posted twice about it. my bad. Yes I know that the magnet stick means it's steel and needs replacing. I will replace the pcv when I do the plenum fix.
As for the my determination, I feel like since I have to add a 1.5 qts of oil/1000 miles tells me the oil is going somewhere and it's not leaking from valve covers although plug #8 (assuming that's the rear passenger side cylinder) is leaking a little oil tells me the cat is clogged too which can be a result of bad plenum too from what I researched on here.I thought that the intake manifold having that much sludge directly under the throttle body would indicate more oil even further back so I was hoping for a consensus here on the thread. truck has 116k miles so I wouldn't think the oil leak at #8 would be from a worn out motor but I'm not expert on it but learning a lot from the forum. Thanks everybody for the contributions here! Love the DF!
How the thread could have gone differently had this background information been provided in the original posting. I would still say you've got to do more legwork to track down the oil leakage and as you've read around, you know how to check the cat out....

As for the sludge under the TB...guess you didn't look at the thread with pictures. PLENTY of sludge from PCV only. 116K is actually not that much. Really depends how that 116K was run and it maintenance.

Can't believe you found sludge in a combustion engine as its just not right!!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:00 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would suggest that you do a comp test and or a leakdown test before you start taking things apart. This will give you an idea as how to proced, like new heads, rebuild, Etc.

Quick Reply: Plenty of evidence of plenum problem