2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hood spring is broken

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood spring is broken

I guess its been like this for a while, I just never caught it till it was to late.

So, my hood opens and closes fine. The only thing that is broken / bent is the part where it connects to the spring / coil that circles around and connects to that little latch. The left side is connected, but the arm is broken, the right side is off, but the arm is bent.

What is the name of that whole assembly? I tried to look up hood spring/coil, but never had any luck.
I can tell it's going to be a pain to replace, I have to take of fenders.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:59 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

its just a hood hinge. but i wouldnt try to just replace the spring on the hood hinge. you can go to a scrap yard and pick up a pair for about $15-$20. and no you dont have to take the fenders off its just a few bolts that you can easily get to with a ratchet or combo wrench.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Change one at a time.... otherwise, you get a headache....

Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Do you mean the hinges? Like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-01-dodge-...item256b1a0222

The extender arm that connects to the hood broke on mine...You could pick one up at a junkyard.

I don't think you have to take the whole fender off but I'm not sure, just unbolt the whole assembly and it should come right out.
( edit: guess I answered a little late :/ )

Last edited by Matt Nickerson; 01-17-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:04 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SweetTooth
I guess its been like this for a while, I just never caught it till it was to late.

So, my hood opens and closes fine. The only thing that is broken / bent is the part where it connects to the spring / coil that circles around and connects to that little latch. The left side is connected, but the arm is broken, the right side is off, but the arm is bent.

What is the name of that whole assembly? I tried to look up hood spring/coil, but never had any luck.
I can tell it's going to be a pain to replace, I have to take of fenders.

the name of the part which you described is a "HOOD HINGE" and no they are not hard to replace at all, in fact ive had to install/take off hood hinges at least 6 times, it takes about 10 mins and two people so your hood doesnt go threw your windshield.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:08 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie

Y'all make it seem easy, here are two pictures of what it looks like. The spring is off it's slot, so it's loose.
So I should just go to a junk yard and just buy a whole new hinge?
I blame the pre owner of this truck for all my problems, it was a female..

Hood spring is broken-ya4i4.jpg
Hood spring is broken-xtola.jpg

Old 01-17-2012, 07:21 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by SweetTooth
Y'all make it seem easy, here are two pictures of what it looks like. The spring is off it's slot, so it's loose.
So I should just go to a junk yard and just buy a whole new hinge?
I blame the pre owner of this truck for all my problems, it was a female..
yep. like someone else said it only takes aout 5-10 min with 2 people. cheap and simple.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:28 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie

So the spring itself isn't bolted to anything? Just the bolts on the hood and at the bottom? Nothing on the side? Just making sure, going to junk yard soon. So I can always tear up their stuff to figure out how to do it. Does 98 - 00 work with 97 dodge hinges? It's hard to find older dodges at the one I go to.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

did you look at that link to e-bay? according to them the hinges are pretty universal from 94-01.

if the truck was previously owned by a female i have a feeling the hood was hardly opened at all.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
did you look at that link to e-bay? according to them the hinges are pretty universal from 94-01.

if the truck was previously owned by a female i have a feeling the hood was hardly opened at all.
The hood has a little damage on the left side, it's bent up.

The truck was actually stolen from her. I bought the truck for under 700 dollars. It was a very nice deal, considering I've driven 18,000+ since I've had it with no issue besides a water pump. I've been to each city in Texas with this thing. I've just been doing minor things as we go. But, I'll take a look at the junk yard and maybe take a pair for cheap.

The hood opens and closes fine, I just need to use a stick to keep it open or it'll close on me haha.

Quick Reply: Hood spring is broken