2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

changed header gasket now no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:12 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changed header gasket now no start

Hey today I changed my driverside header gasket and now my truck won't start. I forgot to plug the driverside sparkplug boots back in. the truck ran for just a sec and then cut off. I plugged the boots back in and now the truck won't start at all. The starter will turn the motor over but I don't think it's getting any spark. I've tried resetting the pcm a couple of times. every time I try to crank it over a vapor like smoke that smells like gas comes out of the throttle body. Any help is appreciated

Old 01-19-2012, 06:20 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

for starters:
check to make sure you have spark.
if not, check to make sure that youre getting power from the ignition coil. if not, replace that.
if you are getting power, i would replace cap n rotor.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is like the 4th or 5th thread in the last few days, that have been posted about how some one did work on the truck and now it won't start. So, obviously some thing was damaged during the work. Was the negative battery cable disconnected while you did the work? If not, check all the fuses in the the cab and PDC.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:41 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

All the fuses are good no CELs

Old 01-19-2012, 06:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

All I can say is , that if it ran fine before, something had to have got knocked loose or damaged.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:53 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

Well i'm port sure something got messed up when I started the truck on one bank of cylinders. I'm just trying to figure or what that is

Old 01-19-2012, 07:03 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by BackwoodsRam
Well i'm port sure something got messed up when I started the truck on one bank of cylinders. I'm just trying to figure or what that is
like i said, check spark. if you got spark id check all your grounds, i know theres a ground on the back of each cyl head leading to somewhere on the firewall. while you were working on the header, you might have broke a ground. if that wire broke you might run into a problem where one bank of the engine isnt workin up to snuff. it cant hurt to check. atleast it eliminates that possiblity.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

Well I definitely have spark (I just got lit up) and that ground is good. I checked the cap and rotor and they didn't look out of the ordinary (they're just a couple of months old. Do you think I could of messed up fuel sync or something?

Edit also the little black box on top of my alternator is humming now. It never did that before iirc. Could that be affecting my no start?

Last edited by BackwoodsRam; 01-19-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:45 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by BackwoodsRam
Well I definitely have spark (I just got lit up) and that ground is good. I checked the cap and rotor and they didn't look out of the ordinary (they're just a couple of months old. Do you think I could of messed up fuel sync or something?

Edit also the little black box on top of my alternator is humming now. It never did that before iirc. Could that be affecting my no start?
the fuel sync is controlled by the dist so if you were messing around with anything in that area i would definatly get it checked out.

and im not sure what you mean about the little black box.. but if it has to do with the alt, it may not be putting out enough juice to keep your system at the right voltage causing your engine not to start. i would pull it and have it checked. once again it cant hurt.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:14 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

Nvm about the black box. Is there any way I can check fuel sync at home

Edit. The confusing thing is that I didn't mess with the distributor at all until after the issue popped up. I just can't figure out what could be causing my problem. I have fuel and spark and the starter turns the motor. Tue truck just won't start

Last edited by BackwoodsRam; 01-19-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply: changed header gasket now no start