2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3.9 --> 5.9 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:46 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tparkin
Does anyone know if the oil filter boss on the block is supposed to have a gasket? The machine shop removed it when they did their work and it was just re-installed finger tight. Seems like ti would need something to seal it up but I can't find a diagram in the FSM that shows that part.
To answer this question, it appears yes.

Page 238 of 707 in looking at the 00BE.pdf document. Figure 5.9L-710.

Item 23.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Tparkin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info Wh1t3nukle...I appreciate the input. I'm definitely at a point where I have to decide where to take this build and I've been waffling over the cam situation.

My biggest fear is adding something that I will not be able to use with the stock PCM effectively. I cannot get a straight answer from anyone that does or deals with inspections around here with regard to how, or if, aftermarket tuning will affect the local emissions/safety testing. I absolutely without a doubt plan to go with an SCT tuner when everything gets buttoned up but I'm fairly certain that I'm going to have the need to return the PCM to stock for inspection purposes. I could be wrong on that but I vaguely remember having to reinstall the stock tune on my old F250 Powerstroke when I took it in...and it didn't have emissions concerns. Maybe I only had to do that when taking it back to the dealer for service...heck, I cant remember that long ago.

I guess I'm at a point where it is better to build it the way I want while it's on the stand...but, on the same token, if I "overbuild" I'm in just as bad of a situation with an installed motor that has to be downgraded to be used.

So, the setup that you ended up with plays fine with the stock PCM?..or will it only "cleanly" operate on a custom tune?

Old 02-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Tparkin
Professional

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
To answer this question, it appears yes.

Page 238 of 707 in looking at the 00BE.pdf document. Figure 5.9L-710.

Item 23.
thanks, I found it last night with the help of gdstock, who reminded me to check the obvious first.

I looked everywhere except the one place that had the info I needed.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

good info Wh1t3nukle...I appreciate the input. I'm definitely at a point where I have to decide where to take this build and I've been waffling over the cam situation.

My biggest fear is adding something that I will not be able to use with the stock PCM effectively. I cannot get a straight answer from anyone that does or deals with inspections around here with regard to how, or if, aftermarket tuning will affect the local emissions/safety testing. I absolutely without a doubt plan to go with an SCT tuner when everything gets buttoned up but I'm fairly certain that I'm going to have the need to return the PCM to stock for inspection purposes. I could be wrong on that but I vaguely remember having to reinstall the stock tune on my old F250 Powerstroke when I took it in...and it didn't have emissions concerns. Maybe I only had to do that when taking it back to the dealer for service...heck, I cant remember that long ago.
From my post

I wanted a cam that was basically drop in and provided good, mild bump, and could be used with stock valvetrain. Additionally, meet emissions and not need PCM modification.
I'm not on the SCT crack.

In search of Cams have you looked for ones that specifically are emissions legal such as what I linked? The one HeyYou linked is not. There are 2 other cams in the same family as mine, but I don't recall their numbers atm.

On that note, I'm going to go out on a limb here as I'm in California, which is pretty much the top Emissions ****. Now, I don't have to go in for another year for smog, however, being armed with my emissions legal sticker is ammunition enough. I may even do a pre-check before. Additionally, as HeyYou mentioned...emissions checks is just visual of stock stuff in place and a sticker if something is not. Example is my K&N FIPK CAI (includes the exhaust) has a sticker in the engine bay. No messing with the PCM. Returning to stock is not going to be a problem either, I mean I can't see how it would be. I do have a "vintage" superchips for the tire size change.

You having a 2001 PCM, if I read that right, would seem barely an issue.

What you might do is find a reputable referee. I'm thinking NC has them like here in CA. They'll give you "better" input and in person too.

I guess I'm at a point where it is better to build it the way I want while it's on the stand...but, on the same token, if I "overbuild" I'm in just as bad of a situation with an installed motor that has to be downgraded to be used.

So, the setup that you ended up with plays fine with the stock PCM?..or will it only "cleanly" operate on a custom tune?
Stock PCM is golden. Works great with and w/o the superchips. Yes, that was my concern as well, which is all subsided.

I'm not trying to steer your directly to the cam I got, only to provide your info as your plan "seems" at this point to echo my path. As always...YMMV. I can't imagine an overbuilt engine with any of the upgrades spoken about here....

Old 02-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Tparkin
Professional

if you have been able to run stock PCM programming with the 2030 cam I feel much more comfortable going that route...or even the 2020, which I had talked to Crane about previously. I think Crane guestimated ~10% hp increase with the 2020, can'e remember the torque increase. It looks like, with the cam and lifters I'll be dumping about $600 on the cam upgrade. Did you notice a performance increase that would justify the investment?

Old 02-12-2012, 01:48 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Drop me a pm with a list of your parts and planned parts.

Last edited by merc225hp; 02-12-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

if you have been able to run stock PCM programming with the 2030 cam I feel much more comfortable going that route...or even the 2020, which I had talked to Crane about previously. I think Crane guestimated ~10% hp increase with the 2020, can'e remember the torque increase. It looks like, with the cam and lifters I'll be dumping about $600 on the cam upgrade. Did you notice a performance increase that would justify the investment?
Abso-freaking-lutely. I have excellent throttle response over a MUCH wider band, starting in the appreciable low range.

Talking to Crane was hit/miss with them as well. The main info direct from them was that the cam was fine with stock valvetrain. The best information was from Mopar Performance that gave me the best piece of mind.

Additionally on the PCM aspect is that you are in a better position than myself. Meaning, I'd suggest a Mopar Performance PCM from B&G. Your PCM is available to send off to get flashed for ALL the mods you are doing. The cost is comparable to SCT...sort of. $350 was my last quote from them. I haven't done it yet though as I'm contemplating my other mods to include so its a 1x thing. I have to send a PCM in for flashing. 3 outstanding mods of contemplation are heads, RRs, and Gibson Headers....

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Drop me a pm with a list of your parts and planned parts.

The beast has arrived.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

According to popular theory, with roller lifters, they don't absolutely have to be changed with the cam. Probably not a bad idea for peace of mind... but, if you are on a budget, you can re-use the stockers.

B&G charges for each flash.... given he has an 01, he could spend 365 for the custom tunes from Hemifever, and use a wideband to get it dialed in. Email swapping of tunes, and only gotta pay for it once.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Assuming you are confident in the stock lifter condition, as the only caveat. I'd agree with you on reusing them.

I'm not here to argue what tuner is better. I provided the caveat to it and its really for people that are not going to be tweaking all the time. It's admitted by Hemifever that ever truck has different fuel tables. To reduce that coarseness, indeed a A/F gauge is needed to knock that out.

If you think you are going to be messing with tunes often, then indeed go the SCT route. I've decided to stay away based on that not being a mode of operation and many cases here reported of ppl having their SCT tuner fry the PCM.

Get your mod list set.....or for the most part 90%. It's why I have not done it yet, as I gave the caveats related to the OPTION of tuners. SCT is not the only thing out there, that's my point.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:05 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
According to popular theory, with roller lifters, they don't absolutely have to be changed with the cam. Probably not a bad idea for peace of mind... but, if you are on a budget, you can re-use the stockers.
A new set of Mopar lifters are $109 at this site http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/ram.html

Would you really spend $350+ on a new cam and trust your old lifters, I would not, just my op. I don't think you would either.

Here's one of mine when I first took the motor apart long ago. The clip was gone and the roller pin needed to be pushed back into place before I could pull the lifter.

Last edited by merc225hp; 02-12-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Fix link and spelling

Quick Reply: 3.9 --> 5.9 swap