2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3.9 --> 5.9 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Tparkin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
A new set of Mopar lifters are $109 at this site http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/ram.html

Would you really spend $350+ on a new cam and trust your old lifters, I would not, just my op. I don't think you would either.

I agree with that theory. In the scheme of this project, another $109 is going to be academic. I'm at a point where I don't want to end up with $3000 wrapped up in a motor that I could have ordered completed for $2000. I need to have some performance gain to justify the time/expense but on the other hand I cannot let it get too far above my head.

merc, pm has been sent. Thanks for the help

Old 02-12-2012, 06:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,259 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Yeah, 100 bucks for those is cheap insurance. I didn't realize they were THAT cheap..

Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tparkin
I agree with that theory. In the scheme of this project, another $109 is going to be academic. I'm at a point where I don't want to end up with $3000 wrapped up in a motor that I could have ordered completed for $2000. I need to have some performance gain to justify the time/expense but on the other hand I cannot let it get too far above my head.

merc, pm has been sent. Thanks for the help
If you can find a mildly built 5.9 magnum that accepts bracketry for the AC and is NON LA block for 2000 brand new. BUY IT.

The cheapest I have seen was about 5600, and I think that is the magnum style that will not accept AC bracketry.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:48 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Also, Merc225HP runs a stock PCM with his mods. Although it is the stock Mopar Performance PCM. I believe that the part number for it is still available at some dealerships, or they can just flash your PCM to have the mopar performance PCM. THEN you get a sticker that goes underhood to say, "It is alright, he has a factory authorized part that meets C.A.R.B. emissions requirements."

However, I think you will like the 1.7 bolt on (non-adjustable) roller rockers with a 50MM Throttle body, some headers and exhaust (fixing the constricted y pipe).

Old 02-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Tparkin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty certain that I'll end up having to get a new PCM anyway...even though I paid an extra $200 for the PCM and harness with the motor. I probably already went over this at some point but...

The State Inspections office for my county said I could do the swap providing the dealer would reflash the new PCm with my old VIN number...so they all match. The two local dealers said they cannot reflash a PCM with a VIN change. One said because I was going 3.9 to 5.9, the other said it was because the PCM's are locked in terms of VIN and that it was illegal to change a factory programmed VIN. I called the SI back, told him and he said that the dealers were incorrect. He offered an alternative, which would be to get the enigne installed and running...let them "look it over" and then issue what they call a NCM number (basically a NC provided "VIN" for a custom build). He didn't seem too keen on that idea and I assume it was because he might have to miss a coffee break due to the extra paperwork.

I pulled the trigger on the project after realizing that I would never get a straight answer until I put it all in front of them. I figured worst case, I can get a MP performance PCM and have the "correct" VIN flashed into it. That is an assumption on my part given that the "correct" VIN for my truck expects a 3.9L.

If all else fails, I'll rip out the 5.9 if they turn it down...throw it in a pre-'96 (non-emissions)truck and burn every square inch of rubber off of the rear wheels in their parking lot.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:17 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

I was talking about getting the dealership to reflash the NEW PCM for the 5.9 with the mopar performance (92 octane) tune. The downside is that you have to get 92 or higher octane. However, since 92 octane is usually only about 20 cents higher, you are only talking about 5 dollars more paying on a full tank of gas. So it really is not that much of a drain on the wallet.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tparkin
I'm pretty certain that I'll end up having to get a new PCM anyway...even though I paid an extra $200 for the PCM and harness with the motor. I probably already went over this at some point but...

The State Inspections office for my county said I could do the swap providing the dealer would reflash the new PCm with my old VIN number...so they all match. The two local dealers said they cannot reflash a PCM with a VIN change. One said because I was going 3.9 to 5.9, the other said it was because the PCM's are locked in terms of VIN and that it was illegal to change a factory programmed VIN. I called the SI back, told him and he said that the dealers were incorrect. He offered an alternative, which would be to get the enigne installed and running...let them "look it over" and then issue what they call a NCM number (basically a NC provided "VIN" for a custom build). He didn't seem too keen on that idea and I assume it was because he might have to miss a coffee break due to the extra paperwork.

I pulled the trigger on the project after realizing that I would never get a straight answer until I put it all in front of them. I figured worst case, I can get a MP performance PCM and have the "correct" VIN flashed into it. That is an assumption on my part given that the "correct" VIN for my truck expects a 3.9L.

If all else fails, I'll rip out the 5.9 if they turn it down...throw it in a pre-'96 (non-emissions)truck and burn every square inch of rubber off of the rear wheels in their parking lot.
Depending on what your PCMs part number is will determine it's price brand new. I've seen them upwards of $600+. As I said, you are ahead of the game with the one you got for $200. The story about the flashing by the dealers and the SI is the same here, more or less. My guess is that the dealerships get all kinds of stories for PCM reflashing and it would just be getting the proper documentation in order just as the SI seems to have alludeded to.

There are vehicles out there that have to get new PCMs for other reasons, such as just simply breaking down or getting fried. I've had this confirmed with a local mopar buff here that has had numerous reflashes done.

Hopefully you really don't have to go down the "all else fails" road.

Good luck Tparkin, I'm excited for you nonetheless.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:31 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1999 and up Mopar performance pcm's are NLA so thats out, and possibly 97 up as well. B & G I think can vin match it for you or any dealer can.

Edit:I don't think a dealer can put in the Mopar performance pcm program into a stock pcm @ least thats what I have been lead to believe. I also don't think its C.A.R.B approved.

I have come across this pcm part number and I can not find what it fits might be something to look into P5153734AC Engine Controller, 360 MPI, Automatic Transmission $250 http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...710&startrow=6

I am not a sct fan either but in this case it might be the best route to go.

Note: Emissions exempt in California, Massachusetts and New York
only. Requires the use of premium unleaded fuels (92 octane or better).
1998 and later models require Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and
Mileage encoding by a Chrysler franchised dealer. Not recommended
for towing applications.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This device is not legal for use on pollutioncontrolled
vehicles certified for use on streets or highways. Once this
device is installed, use of the vehicle on a street or highway is a
violation of the Clean Air Act, potentially subjecting the operator and the
installer to civil penalties of up to $32,500 per vehicle depending on the
circumstances.

Last edited by merc225hp; 02-12-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.9 --> 5.9 swap