2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum Done, Now No Start...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:43 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you wouldn't happen to have a "no bus" in the odometer display? i had that and it was a missing ground at the power steering bracket.

got all the injectors plugged in?
tps and iac plugged in at throttle body.
if you press the gas pedal does it change anything?
does a nice shot of starting fluid help any?

oops, just noticed you said no spark.
feel around the distributor cap and find the cam position sensor wire. make sure its not pinched under the intake.
do the same with the crank position sensor on passenger side bell housing.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Stankp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found these in the FSM, thought this could be a bit suspect.. I will take a look first thing in the a.m.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No spark. Reseat all the plug wires. It's tough to get to the back on the cap if you got sausage fingers like zman.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Stankp

Ok, so I found the crank position and cam position sensors and related plugs/wires, of course no issues. I unplugged and re-plugged in those as well as all spark plug wires and ignition wire. All were/are seated properly. Still no spark..

Going out on a limb here is there any chance that the water pump bolts could interfere with the timing chain? I know I have the bolts in the correct locations but curious if there could something there.. When the truck is turning over it is curiously quiet (e.g. no lifter noise). Is there a quick and easy way to see the the cam is spinning short of removing a valve cover or dist. cap?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Water pump bolts just go thru the timing cover. No way they can interfere with the chain, unless something is SERIOUSLY screwed up. (not something you would be able to miss......)

Are you not getting spark out of the coil? Or are you checking at the plug?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:15 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the ign coil 12volt supply plugged into the coil? do you have 12volts at the coil? Test using a multi meter. Eziest is to remove the dizzy cap to see if the rotor is turning.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Stankp

I have only checked at the plug, I will check at the coil next. My schedule has been busy so I have not been able to give it my full attention..
Thanks again guys!

Old 02-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Stankp

Well, really bad news... I pulled the cap off the distributer and had a good look at everything. Just for kicks I had my wife give the ignition a hit just to put the thought of "real bad things" to rest and unfortunately it became the worst case scenario. The rotor does not spin when cranking the engine over..

This said I am going to assume the timing chain broke or something as such. I assume the worst at this point; heads, affected pistons, valves, etc...

I really need a drink right now....

Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK. I won't say how I know this, but there is a small connector on the bottom of the coil. Make sure it is plugged in. It MAY be easy to overlook after all the work that was done.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Stankp

Thanks, yeah, checked and double checked.. I chased that whole wire. Even if it were not connected it would not explain the dist. not moving while cranking over..

Quick Reply: Plenum Done, Now No Start...