2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum Done, Now No Start...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:07 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe just the oil pump shaft broke. Remove a VC and see if the rockers move.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stankp
Thanks, yeah, checked and double checked.. I chased that whole wire. Even if it were not connected it would not explain the dist. not moving while cranking over..

Shack! I missed the post about the rotor not turning. Must have been posted while I was working on post......(I'm awful slow after traveling).

That would certainly cause no fire. Did you pull distributor during the plenum work? (please say no!)

I would start with valve covers as zman stated (easier to pull than timing cover) and see if anything is moving there.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Maybe just the oil pump shaft broke. Remove a VC and see if the rockers move.
Originally Posted by gdstock
Shack! I missed the post about the rotor not turning. Must have been posted while I was working on post......(I'm awful slow after traveling).

That would certainly cause no fire. Did you pull distributor during the plenum work? (please say no!)

I would start with valve covers as zman stated (easier to pull than timing cover) and see if anything is moving there.
Ok, Imma have to say it is much easier to get to the Valve Cover as Zman suggested, relative to the Timing Cover. I bet you did mean the valve cover as well, but your fingers resisted b/c they love a real challenge, such as the timing cover.

Pop the VC, put a socket on the harmonic balancer and turn that baby. Probably take 2 ppl. One to turn and one to watch the rockers b/c the fan/shroud in the way. Or, do the following:

1. pull out spark plugs
2. remove the fuel system relay from the PDC (next to battery)
3. pull the VCs
4. disconnect 12v power to the coil
5. 1 person turns ignition key
6. you watch the rockers move or not move during the turning.

This just turns the motor over, easier on the engine b/c no pressure as plugs out, no fuel and no spark.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Stankp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, this was going to be my next step. Cover has to come off anyway if I am going to have to do the heads anyway.... I will report back with findings..

BTW, I did not pull the dist., never really touched it until now for inspection...

Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stankp
I just replaced my plenum this past weekend, while doing so I also did my water pump.

hopped in and started cranking. There was a little clacking at first
what did the clacking sound like ?

is there any chance that the rotor is broken and the distributor shaft is actually turning ok?

did you have the dist cap off for a tune up? maybe got it misaligned.

otherwise i can't figure out how a timing chain or distributor shaft would get broken while doing plenum and water pump.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Stankp

Was out of town most of the weekend but was able to take the VC off and inspect the rockers while turning motor over and alas no movement. So I torn down the front of the engine as much as I could last night. Tonight I should have the harmonic balancer off and crack open the timing case to see what is going on...
I had a productive conversation with a local race engine shop here and they seem to think that this engine should have no valve crash, meaning when the cam stops the moving pistons will not hit open valves.. If this is the case I am one happy camper. All I should need to do it the timing chain and gears..

Old 02-06-2012, 12:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Unfortunately, we have empirical evidence that if the crank turns, and the cam does not, the valves do indeed suffer the consequences. Had a member do his timing chain, (wrong...) and wiped out a selection of his valves......

Old 02-06-2012, 12:57 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well out of all my books (Cloyes is one) and I have spoke to many machine shops and I have been told the same and that is; these are a non interference motor. I am starting to think that member did not give us all the pertinent info. Sorry no I am not willing to test this theory lol.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:46 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1... I don't what happened with that other member, but, the timing chain should be able to completely come off and NO damage should be done to the motor.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Stankp

Well here it is.. It is pretty much what I suspected. Hard to believe the failure, the material the gear is made of seems like really cheap pot metal..

Attached Thumbnails Plenum Done, Now No Start...-timing.jpg  

Quick Reply: Plenum Done, Now No Start...