2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum Done, Now No Start...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Stankp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, long delay in posts... Put new timing gears and chain in. I did not go with the pricey stuff, just went to NAPA. All went together quite well. Go to start her up and all I get is a lot of cranking.. I then proceed to again check for cam rotation by inspecting the rotor and we have rotation. I then checked for spark at the coil and the plug and yes have spark in both locations. Next check for pressure in the fuel rail and again I have fuel. So any again I come to you my fellow owners for any thoughts or suggestions... I have checked, re-checked and checked once more all connections and all are sound. Am I missing something obvious??

Old 02-12-2012, 10:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Got compression?

Old 02-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Stankp

I guess that is the next step.. When cranking over by hand (ratchet) there is definitely resistance on the strokes..

Old 02-12-2012, 12:12 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you getting a pulse at injectors?

Old 02-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Stankp

Mmm, have not checked for a pulse at the injector. I will poke around and see how to check that..

Old 02-12-2012, 01:53 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Comp test is first and foremost at this time, nothing else matters until that is done.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Stankp

Sorry for the long delay in updates, been traveling a bit. I thought I would give everyone the update of how it all shook out. I went through a number of things, checking injectors, coil, dist., etc. Was coming up with nothing. Again, turning over by hand felt as though there was some compression, but gave the test a go anyway. Drum roll please..., no compression, valves crashed...
Turns out this engine is an interference type design. If your timing chain or gear fails you will bend valves... Learning this just about brought me over the edge (a can of gas and a lit match were in hand). Knowing that I was going to be traveling I towed the truck to a local engine shop (great guys) and they pulled the heads. There were all the typical things from a truck with 170k, cracks, etc. plus bent valves, push rods, etc. from the timing gear fail. So they went in repaired one of the heads and put a new one on the worse side. I have all new valves, rockers, push rods, etc. They put it all back together and I picked the truck up yesterday. Drives great, will check oil consumption and check milage this weekend.
Thanks for all the insight guys, this has been an extremely expensive but interesting learning experience. I have to say, I do miss my old Cummins more than ever...

Quick Reply: Plenum Done, Now No Start...