2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re from a 2WD into a 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaG
Well I went and picked up the tranny for my truck. From the outside it looks to be in fairly decent shape. Now just have to start accumulating the rest of my parts.
On the drive back my freakin exhaust came loose. The weld right at the back of the cat broke so gonna go screw with it for a while now. Thinkin its a good time to go ahead and gut the cat until I can redo the exhaust.

Ok it's finally official...I am a complete and total dumbass. As if this hasn't been proven enough times I had to go and prove it to myself again. I have been looking for a 46re out of a 4wd for my 01 and haven't had much luck around here. Finally found one on Craiglist; a trans and transfer case and TC out of a 98 Ram with a 5.9 for what I thought was a decent price. Talked to the guy and he says the trans was running fine at about 150,000 but the truck had a dash fire so he parted out what he could. So I decide to get it... Here's the deal; the day I went and picked the trans up I was running way late and traffic was a b**** plus it was raining. A wreck on interstate held me up another 45 minutes. Normally I'm a patient guy but with all the hold ups I was rushing like crazy. So anyway I get there to meet the guy and it was raining so we switched the trans from his vechicle to mine and got it under a tarp pretty quick. I gave it a quick lookover but wasn't going over it with a fine tooth comb since it was getting rebuilt and I was WAY behind as it was. So then I get home and pull the trans out (still covered with the tarp) and didn't really have a chance to check it out good until yesterday. Didn't take me long to realize how much of a dumbass I am...
Here is a link to some pics of the trans http://photobucket.com/transpics..shouldn't take you too long to figure out WHY I'm an idiot.
46RH is it not?

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
B52's! wow.... you dated yourself there....I have blueprints for one of those floating around here somewhere... I saw one on google earth that some guy bought and converted to a gas station with pumps under the wings...
That would be neat.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:36 AM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep HeyYou, nailed it. Felt like a damn moron once I actually took a look at it and realized it was an RH and not RE. I will admit I said quite a few choice words but mainly directed at myself. So now I've gotta sell this one and find a 46RE. Another lesson learned. (That I thought I would have already learned by now.)

Old 02-18-2012, 09:38 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you called the guy? He screwed you man, how about contacting craigs list?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Nereaga
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Craigslist is great but you really have to do your homework and weed through the b/s... I would try and contact him at the very least, you do know where he resides now! Not sure that will do much but worth a shot...

Old 02-18-2012, 10:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaG
Yep HeyYou, nailed it. Felt like a damn moron once I actually took a look at it and realized it was an RH and not RE. I will admit I said quite a few choice words but mainly directed at myself. So now I've gotta sell this one and find a 46RE. Another lesson learned. (That I thought I would have already learned by now.)
Just sell the trans, keep the t-case.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If he lied to you about where it came from and what it was what makes you think he didnt lie about its functionality and its not a bad junk transmission?
If you sell it to someone and its junk your gonna have a big headache to deal with....I'd go after the scamming scumbag...

Old 02-18-2012, 01:02 PM
PapaG
Veteran

Well I've tried contacting him but no answer (surprise, surprise) and since we met halfway no idea exactly where he lives or I would be down there kicking the damn door in. I can't be too mad because it was my fault. Yeah he screwed me but I KNEW better and didn't pay attention because I was in a rush. I know Craigslist is full of scammers but I've actually had really good luck in the past with buying stuff there but this one kind of bit me in the ***. I'm gonna try contacting him again today but honestly I figure I'm SOL.
Don't know that he didn't scam me as far as the condition of the trans but I was buying it to rebuild not to just install and drive. The whole reason for buying this one was to be able to do a tranny rebuild AND have my DD while I'm doing it. As far as selling it to someone else I'm gonna be honest with them as far as me not knowing what kind of shape it's in. And yeah HeyYou I'm planning on keeping the transfer case. Gonna rebuild it too. Actually I'm thinking about looking around at some junkyards and seeing if they have a 46re they would be willing to trade for this RH. The problem is that there aren't any JY close to me so gonna have to do some hunting. That was why I ended up going so far to meet this guy, the only 46re's I could find in this area were 2wd not 4wd.
One thing is for sure, I WILL eventually get this truck to where I want it. NOT gonna get frustrated and give in. I love the truck and refuse to give up.

So...anybody need a 46RH of unknown condition?

Old 02-18-2012, 01:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Just so you know, even the 98 46RE would not have been a direct swap. You have to change ALL the interior electrical components and maybe the Gov body. What you want is a 2000 or 2001 for a no hassle swap.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:13 PM
PapaG
Veteran

Originally Posted by zman17
Just so you know, even the 98 46RE would not have been a direct swap. You have to change ALL the interior electrical components and maybe the Gov body. What you want is a 2000 or 2001 for a no hassle swap.
Yeah I knew the electrical would all had to have been changed but was planning on doing new parts during the rebuild. I agree that a 2000 or 2001 would be the best choice and thats what I've been looking for but no luck.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:40 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Ok good. Just keep in mind the Gov body might need replace as well. The Gov pressure switch(transducer) mounts differently on other years. And I'm not sure if you can just swap the switch. Some years the switch is held on externally with a bracket and others you have to remove the Gov body and remove a clip to replace the Gov pressure switch . And you can't just use the original one because it won't plug in to the TCC/OD main harness.

Quick Reply: 46re from a 2WD into a 4x4