2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re from a 2WD into a 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Ok good. Just keep in mind the Gov body might need replace as well. The Gov pressure switch(transducer) mounts differently on other years. And I'm not sure if you can just swap the switch. Some years the switch is held on externally with a bracket and others you have to remove the Gov body and remove a clip to replace the Gov pressure switch . And you can't just use the original one because it won't plug in to the TCC/OD main harness.
Yeah thats one of the things about the trans that is in my truck now. If you recall one of my other posts about the gov sensor. Mine is an 01 and should have the plastic sensor but instead it has the metal sensor. So obviously at some point someone has changed some crap out and didn't know what they were doing or changed the whole trans for a different year. That was one of the reasons for trying to find another trans so that I would KNOW what I had...that didn't work out so well. lmao. If I just end up having to rebuild the one that is in the truck I've got to do some research and see exactly which year it is.
I've been hunting around the area but no 46re (4WD) are around it seems like. Well I've found a few that have either been rebuilt already and cost too much or are used and the owner wants WAY too much for them. $800 for a trans with 170,000 on it...no thank you very much! Found several Rams being parted out but they were all manual trans. No JY close really so will keep hunting for now. Like I said, may just have to break down and rebuild the one I have in the truck...along those lines, a question for you guys who have done your own rebuild. Whats a ballpark rough estimate time-wise to pull the trans out, rebuild, and reinstall? I realize it's gonna be different for everybody but whats a rough estimate?

Last edited by PapaG; 02-20-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Had to fix my spelling F-up. Lol
Old 02-20-2012, 01:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Minimum of eight to twelve hours. Personally, I would double that, just to be safe, and not feel like you are on a time crunch while doing it. That's how mistakes happen.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:25 PM
PapaG
Veteran

Actually I would be happy if I could get it done in a weekend. Definitely don't want to rush it being my first trans rebuild as far as doing one myself. Have helped on a few over the years but never done one on my own.

Just had a guy text me back about a trans I was checking on. He said he had already sold it (of course) but made the comment that he could have sold it 20 times over with as many people that had called about it. Apparently a lot of people in this area hunting for the same thing I am...rebuilding the one I have is looking more and more like the way I'm gonna have to go.

Last edited by PapaG; 02-20-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaG
Actually I would be happy if I could get it done in a weekend. Definitely don't want to rush it being my first trans rebuild as far as doing one myself. Have helped on a few over the years but never done one on my own.

Just had a guy text me back about a trans I was checking on. He said he had already sold it (of course) but made the comment that he could have sold it 20 times over with as many people that had called about it. Apparently a lot of people in this area hunting for the same thing I am...rebuilding the one I have is looking more and more like the way I'm gonna have to go.
Maybe I should toss a selection of them into the bed of my truck, and come for a visit.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:51 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah thats one of the things about the trans that is in my truck now. If you recall one of my other posts about the gov sensor. Mine is an 01 and should have the plastic sensor but instead it has the metal sensor. So obviously at some point someone has changed some crap out and didn't know what they were doing or changed the whole trans for a different year. That was one of the reasons for trying to find another trans so that I would KNOW what I had...that didn't work out so well. lmao. If I just end up having to rebuild the one that is in the truck I've got to do some research and see exactly which year it is.
I've been hunting around the area but no 46re (4WD) are around it seems like. Well I've found a few that have either been rebuilt already and cost too much or are used and the owner wants WAY too much for them. $800 for a trans with 170,000 on it...no thank you very much! Found several Rams being parted out but they were all manual trans. No JY close really so will keep hunting for now. Like I said, may just have to break down and rebuild the one I have in the truck...along those lines, a question for you guys who have done your own rebuild. Whats a ballpark rough estimate time-wise to pull the trans out, rebuild, and reinstall? I realize it's gonna be different for everybody but whats a rough estimate?

I don't recall, LOL. And I'd rather not look for that post or read 5 pages in this one. But , now that you say that about the switch. That could be the problem to begin with.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:15 PM
PapaG
Veteran

I don't recall, LOL. And I'd rather not look for that post or read 5 pages in this one. But , now that you say that about the switch. That could be the problem to begin with.
Ummm...you trying to say I talk a lot?! Lmao.
You're killin me Zman ! Wouldn't want you to have to read through my mess of posts either. Yeah I'm thinking that the no OD issue is probably because of the wrong electronics in the trans. I know the snap ring issue still exists but since it has never even tried to shift into OD (and the TC doesn't lock up) I have thought about just changing what I need in this trans and see how it does for a while and give me more of a chance to find one out of a 2001.

Last edited by PapaG; 02-20-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:24 PM
PapaG
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Maybe I should toss a selection of them into the bed of my truck, and come for a visit.
Could be a lucrative trip for you! I have been amazed at the problem I have had finding even just a POS trans to rebuild. I assume that stems from living in/around the mountains as opposed to somewhere with a flatter terrain. Or maybe we are just rougher on them here! Lol.
With all the posts lately about changing from an auto to a stick and the apparent plethora of used manual trans around here I have even had thoughts to go that route...and even though I love to drive a stick I don't want the hassle of going that route. But quite a few manual trans in the area....

Old 02-20-2012, 02:43 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ummm...you trying to say I talk a lot?! Lmao.
You're killin me Zman ! Wouldn't want you to have to read through my mess of posts either. Yeah I'm thinking that the no OD issue is probably because of the wrong electronics in the trans. I know the snap ring issue still exists but since it has never even tried to shift into OD (and the TC doesn't lock up) I have thought about just changing what I need in this trans and see how it does for a while and give me more of a chance to find one out of a 2001.
Well, since the wrong tranny is in the truck,along with the wrong electronics. That's why the TC doesn't lock up and go into overdrive. You might simply be able to swap out those electronics for the correct ones. And have a working tranny.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:54 PM
PapaG
Veteran

Well, since the wrong tranny is in the truck,along with the wrong electronics. That's why the TC doesn't lock up and go into overdrive. You might simply be able to swap out those electronics for the correct ones. And have a working tranny.
Gonna order the parts and give it a shot anyway. I was planning on getting all new electronics for the rebuild anyway. Of course if I hadn't bought that trans I could have already ordered the parts. Lol. Ah live and learn.
Question, I'm planning on getting the Borg Warner electronics for the trans; who has the best deal and is reputable to buy from? I've seen some of the "package" deals on ebay for the BW parts (with the OD/TCC solenoid, Gov sensor, and Gov solenoid all toghether) but after some of my recent purchases I'm leery of who to deal with.
This is the one I was looking at:http://www.ebay.com/itm/46RE-47RE-48...4#ht_655wt_952
Anybody dealt with these guys before?

Last edited by PapaG; 02-20-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 02-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Gonna order the parts and give it a shot anyway. I was planning on getting all new electronics for the rebuild anyway. Of course if I hadn't bought that trans I could have already ordered the parts. Lol. Ah live and learn.
Question, I'm planning on getting the Borg Warner electronics for the trans; who has the best deal and is reputable to buy from? I've seen some of the "package" deals on ebay for the BW parts (with the OD/TCC solenoid, Gov sensor, and Gov solenoid all toghether) but after some of my recent purchases I'm leery of who to deal with.
This is the one I was looking at:http://www.ebay.com/itm/46RE-47RE-48...4#ht_655wt_952
Anybody dealt with these guys before?
I think thats who I bought my borg warner gov pressure soleniod from...

Quick Reply: 46re from a 2WD into a 4x4