2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re from a 2WD into a 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:28 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 46re from a 2WD into a 4x4

Ok guys got ANOTHER tranny question. I have been looking for a trans to put in my 2001 4x4. Can't find a decent one out of a 4x4 but have found one out of a 2WD for a pretty decent price. From what I gather so far the only difference is the tail shaft housing and the TC. I saw in MonteCs thread that he sez changing the tailshaft is a PITA. Has anyone done this? How bad is it really?Trying to figure out exactly how much of a PITA it is. As this may be my most economical choice at the moment I may have to do it no matter how much of a pain it is.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:14 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a PITA. Gotta use the OD housing from your current tranny, which if I recall correctly, needs to be rebuilt becasue of the broken snap ring.

It would be better forum ettiquette to post in your original thread. Multiple threads does not allow other members to know the whole story. And I'm betting the forum police will be by shortly.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:38 PM
PapaG
Veteran

Thanks for the info gd. Damn, back to the drawing board

As far as posting a new thread my thinking must have been bass ackwards on that. Figured since it was a different question then I shkfould post a diff thread. My bad.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:51 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Different question, but still related. Posting to the existing thread allows readers to be aware of the previous information posted, therefore, allowing for more knowledgeable responses, without suggesting something that was already posted int he other thread. When a new post is made, the thread moves to the top of the list sna is marked that there is a new reply. Folks will notice this and click to see what is new.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:15 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What are we talking about?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kejobe
What are we talking about?

About not having multiple threads on the same topic.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:54 AM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different questions about the same topic or part = single thread
Different questions about the same topic but a different part = same thread
Different questions about different topics or parts = different threads
Most people that can help will be less inclined to do so if they have to read a hundred different threads to get all the necessary information. Add well as it make it difficult for people that are having a similar issue to see what helped you.

To get back on topic...i've never swapped tailhousings but if your overdrive unit needs to be rebuilt than it may be more economical to just keep looking or bite the bullet end have yours rebuilt. It should be more than 1100 or so to have it fully rebuilt.and at least you will know it will be good for a while

Last edited by BackwoodsRam; 02-02-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:58 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
About not having multiple threads on the same topic.
What about having the same topic in multiple threads?

Old 02-02-2012, 08:27 AM
PapaG
Veteran

[QUOTE]To get back on topic...i've never swapped tailhousings but if your overdrive unit needs to be rebuilt than it may be more economical to just keep looking or bite the bullet end have yours rebuilt. It should be more than 1100 or so to have it fully rebuilt.and at least you will know it will be good for a while[/QUOTE

Hell dude with four kids and a grandkid at home plus and ex-wife to take care of me spending $1100 on a tranny is dreaming! Lol. Plus I don't let ANYONE else do my mechanic work for me anymore. Learned my lesson on that with a couple of jobs on my oldest sons car. (Plus I absolutely REFUSE to spend money paying someone for something I can do myself.) If it's something I haven't done before then I just study up and do it myself which is the plan for rebuilding my tranny. BUT since I have to haul kids around as well as tools theres no way my truck can be down very long hence the idea of looking for a used trans to throw in there until I can rebuild mine (or rebuild the one I get). Unfortunately I can't seem to find a 46re out of a 4WD anywhere around here.

And just as a side note about topic/threads etc. I was actually looking at it more along the lines of someone doing a search on threads. I know from my experience of just joining this forum that when I was doing searches on stuff that I would get a lot of results that didn't pertain to what I was searching for and that makes for a lot of hunting through topics to find the singular info I was looking for. (ex. if someone is hunting for info on putting a trans from a 2wd to a 4wd do they really wanna know about my question about the gov pressure sensor?) I understand what you guys are saying and point taken. Not used to a forum type setting so bear with me.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

In order to change the output shaft, you have to completely disassemble the trans..... so, you would in effect be rebuilding it in any event. If your truck isn't your daily driver, just rebuild the one that's in it. Or, expand your year range for your search for a rebuildable unit, and replace the electronics with the right stuff for your truck while you rebuild it.

There are a LOT of good resources in the FAQ section if you want to give this a shot. Recently added the ATSG rebuild videos to the Rebuild your trans thread.

Quick Reply: 46re from a 2WD into a 4x4