2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Rail Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:27 AM
i mow grass
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Rail Removal

Well I am right smack dab in the middle of my spring tune up/repair. I am going after the plenum, but I seem to be stuck on removing the fuel rail/injectors I have bled the rails per service manual. Everything that I have read on here says I should just be able wiggle both sides of the rail assembly out all at once. Am I just not using enough force or am I missing a piece that I was supposed to remove. Again thanks for all the help guys.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:34 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

after you remove the four bolts- one in each corner...put a long shanked screw driver under the rail and the blade on the intake manifold.. pry slightly.. start at the far end.. move it up a little, work your way back, prying slightly.. try to take it off as evenly as you can.. they can be a biyatch for sure..

you know, though, you don't have to take the rail off, right?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM
i mow grass
Professional

Really, Will I still be able to pull the kegger all the way out and cleaner throughly without any damages to injectors? I will at least have to pull the fuel line I am guess though.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:47 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yup.. release the fuel line at the rail, back drivers side.. leave the rail in place.. if you're going to dunk it, I'd pull the injectors.. if you're just going to scrub it good- you will be alright.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Pronk
Professional

Yeah if you leave the fuel rails on you have to remove the fuel line, which requires a special diconnect tool you can get at most auto parts stores. But I think most people just disconnect the fuel line, it seems to be the easier way.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pronk
Yeah if you leave the fuel rails on you have to remove the fuel line, which requires a special diconnect tool you can get at most auto parts stores. But I think most people just disconnect the fuel line, it seems to be the easier way.
On the 1997, the "special disconnect tool" is called a two fingers and two thumbs.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:14 AM
i mow grass
Professional

Thats my kind of tool! Same for the 01s?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:53 PM
4angrybadgers

I had to pull really hard on my rails (straight up, of course!) to get them out of the kegger. I had replacement injector O-rings on hand, and fully expected to tear the originals when I realized how stuck they were. Didn't break any O-rings, amazingly, and the injectors stayed in the rail. When I re-installed the rail, I lubed the bottom O-rings with a very light coat of motor oil, and they went in fairly easy.

I just had a thought. WD-40 helps with sliding rubber hoses on/off connectors - would it help with pulling the fuel rail+injectors out of the plenum?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,282 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Originally Posted by 4angrybadgers
I had to pull really hard on my rails (straight up, of course!) to get them out of the kegger. I had replacement injector O-rings on hand, and fully expected to tear the originals when I realized how stuck they were. Didn't break any O-rings, amazingly, and the injectors stayed in the rail. When I re-installed the rail, I lubed the bottom O-rings with a very light coat of motor oil, and they went in fairly easy.

I just had a thought. WD-40 helps with sliding rubber hoses on/off connectors - would it help with pulling the fuel rail+injectors out of the plenum?
It should.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:35 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by i mow grass
Thats my kind of tool! Same for the 01s?
Nope. Require's a special tool, don't know the exact name as we just made something from scratch to get the line off the rail.

Quick Reply: Fuel Rail Removal