2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Did compression Test on 1999 Dodge truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012 | 04:13 PM
merc225hp
Champion

The test needs to be done with the motor @ opt temp to get proper results.

Old 03-10-2012 | 05:13 PM
snookhooked
|
Professional

Yeah, I thought about that and now I am just going to wait till the morning. All I did was create puffs of black smoke from the oil in the cylinder. Then while I was allowing it to warm up and do a test, my reading were all over. I am going to move it to the back yard in the morning to where I am going to work on it and let it cool and start all over. It never smoked so I am sure that from the wet test. I will get back with you guys after I do it. Thanks

Old 03-10-2012 | 08:22 PM
angelhonka

hey i had the same prob,i did a com[pression test all read about bthe same until i checked the #2 cyl and i had 0 psi so I went and tore down my engine down to the block and thought I would find a blown gasket or a worn ring or something but wen I tore it down I was lookin at the #2 exhaust valve and saw that my spring had broke causin no pressure , of course I wished I had looked at that earlier , but anywho I went and put new gaskets and timing chain set, I didnt get my heds machined like someone suggested but I got real lucky thats all it was ...a FRIGGIN spring but parts wise it cost me right at about 400$

Old 03-10-2012 | 09:46 PM
snookhooked
|
Professional

I'm sure I am over thinking this project. I just want to do the wet and dry test correctly then start my journey with the best possible idea of what to look for. Even with my screw up. she ran as smooth as can be. It didn't like the oil in the cylinder. lol First time I seen it smoke when I lightly raved the motor. Thanks for the help guys

Old 03-10-2012 | 10:01 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Im more conerned with all the cylinders 120 is getting pretty close to the 100-110 mark showing that your engine is showing its age despit the miles on it.

Old 03-11-2012 | 07:22 AM
snookhooked
|
Professional

I got to thinking about it. I am going to start my cost search on parts ( Gaskets) today. Is instead of guessing. I wonder if it would just be better to tear down the motor and have the heads checked? That way I would know what shape they are in. We have had this truck since 21,000 miles and it was serviced regularly. it did suck in two I believe intake gaskets that Dodge replaced. I did a oil pump change two years ago and now with water in the system, I will put a new one in to be safe and its a simple job anyway. The motor runs fine and hasn't had any problems other than the loss of water issue with the smell. It hasnt smoked in any fashion other then when I didn't do the wet test correctly. I did the paper test agianst the exaust and it didnt seem to do and sucking the paper so I am believing I may be lucky? I'm trying to stay positive as I start my first time job as to anything with heads and gaskets. I have done the normal maintenance water pumps, alternators, things at that level. I bought a Haynes manual to read up on. Buying the tools needed have added to cost but its well spent money. I am thinking that having some idea of the motor would help you guys as well. There is suppose to be a machine shop here down the road from me.( I thought they all were gone) I am going to stop by and see what it would cost to have them checked. Tell me what you guys think? Thanks for your patience with a newbie.

Last edited by snookhooked; 03-11-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: updating
Old 03-11-2012 | 12:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Considering the reputation the stock heads have..... if I was going to go thru the trouble of pulling them, I would just replace them...... Don't bother spending the money to have them checked, just to find that they are indeed toast. (highly likely...)

Better than stock replacements can be had for under 600 bucks a pair.

Old 03-11-2012 | 12:55 PM
snookhooked
|
Professional

Man I just found new heads for a little over 100 bucks but unfortunately they are 5.9 360. Dang no luck. lol I also went to a couple of auto stores and the guy said that if i have water in the oil, it means I might as well replace the bearing. I asked about a oil pump because I was thinking it would be a good idea of putting a new one in now instead of later for safe precaution even though my oil pressure good. If I have to replace heads. then that will delete most of my funds right off the bat. hate being in this position. Im not knocking or running fine. I think he is trying to sell me more stuff that maybe I dont need?

Old 03-11-2012 | 12:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Heads are the same for 318/360, unless they are the older LA style heads? (can't use those....)

As for bearings..... I would wait until you were in the engine doing the oil pump, pull a couple bearing caps, and see what they look like. If they look good, leave 'em.

Old 03-11-2012 | 01:38 PM
snookhooked
|
Professional

Thanks for the information. Whats LA style? Sorry but never heard of that. This is all new to me on doing head gaskets so I am depending on the book and common sense doing this. I am sure I will be in here asking questions as I get going on it and Thank all of you guys for the help ahead of time. It should be pretty straight forward as I can see it and I should be able to get it done right. I don't mind learning as I go. Once I do something. I'm good. its just doing it for the first time is nervous for me. Thanks again guys. I will look into heads as well.

Quick Reply: Did compression Test on 1999 Dodge truck