2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wipers sort of delay...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:39 PM
InfO
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers sort of delay...

Howdy All,

First, I'll start with I've searched and read a lot of messages about the wipers not working at all in the delay setting, only working in high and low. And yes, first thing I did check was the fuse that makes the dinging when the door is open (and is thus tied into CTM I believe?).

The particulars of my problem are a little different, so I thought I'd put them up so that A) if anyone comes across anything similiar, hopefully by the end there is a quick solution and B) to see if anyone has a suggestion that will negate some tearing apart (I'm not at home, not with my own tools, just on a base where I have to borrow).

My wipers work in high, low, AND delay... sort of. I can turn the selector to any delay setting and they start... and then randomly stop somewhere on the window. They only go again if I notch the wiper switch up or down one notch. Then they will wipe again, usually getting a full 'swoosh' of the windshield before stopping somewhere else. This results in a bit of play in order to get them to park back at the bottom of the window. As I said, they run fine on high and low like everyone elses. I'm curious, is the thought this might have more to do with the switch or is it likely the CTM? Like I said, it's a bit different from others in that they usually have NO delay, or their delay only works at one speed no matter what is selected.

Hopefully I can solve this so I can jump onto that damn driver side door lock issue (it doesn't rise or lower... just sort of... bumps in place).

Inf O.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Probably need a new wiper motor, that's where the supposed "smart part" is rumored to be.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:14 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be the multifunction switch too. Pull the steering column covers and check all wires and plugs. Remove the cowl and check the wires and plugs, and ground there too(at the wiper motor). If it all looks good, I'd say motor like HeyYou stated.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:32 PM
InfO
Veteran

Thanks zman and HeyYou! Long time no talk!

I'll pull the steering column covers and the cowl and check all wires/plugs tomorrow. I'll post up what I find out. I downloaded the service manual, so should be able to tackle it.

Thanks,
Inf O.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:34 PM
dlyter09
Champion

I had the same issue and mine ended up being a wire pulled out of the connection behind the multifunction switch.. I had a thread about it here somewhere

Old 04-12-2012, 02:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

If you have tilt wheel, that is definitely the first place to look.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:54 PM
mibzzer15
Professional

I had a friend of mine in auto shop that had the EXACT same problem as you do, and by exact i mean EXACTLY the same problem.

He replaced the wiper motor and it was fixed.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:20 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mibzzer15
I had a friend of mine in auto shop that had the EXACT same problem as you do, and by exact i mean EXACTLY the same problem.

He replaced the wiper motor and it was fixed.

That's too easy, and cost money. We are just trying to eliminate other free possibles first.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

failure of the wiper system to "park" the wipers at the bottom of the cycle is a failure of the park circuit. this can be either -
a bad park circuit in the motor. replace the motor.
or
an open wire for the park circuit, which should have 12v anytime the ignition switch is on. repair the circuit. you can duplicate this by turning off the ignition when the wipers are on, and you'll see the wipers stop dead where they're at.

so - test the park circuit wire at the motor. it might be blue?. if its good, replace the motor.

more info.
http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/elan...or-t22172.html

Old 04-12-2012, 07:32 PM
mibzzer15
Professional

Originally Posted by zman17
That's too easy, and cost money. We are just trying to eliminate other free possibles first.
eh you got a point there lol! Just giving my 2 cents anyways haha

Quick Reply: Wipers sort of delay...