2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tips for Cat Removal..

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:43 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there ia arcing at the boot, take the wires back and have them replaced. At least that one is bad. New or not, it is bad.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:47 PM
DodgeRam10
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the boot is covered by the metal protector and thats where its arcing, but i guess its probably going through the boot and to the metal protector. I purchased them off the internet awhile ago when i was getting my plenum list together not sure if i can return them...

Old 05-15-2012, 11:54 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

e-bay + PayPal = Buyer Protection.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 PM
nate_9ers
Rookie

You said your father in-law has an oxy acetylene set-up. You can braze weld with that if you have the correct tips for it that is. Brazing is my prefered way to weld exhaust pipe. Really quite easy to do sort of like soldering but you control dipping and flow.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 PM
DodgeRam10
Veteran

Ok, Got it done.My father in laws tank turned out to be empty so that didnt help much. So we cut the inside walls of the inner pipe with a sawzall and got it out, then had to cut where the crimp was and slip it on the new cat.Clamped it and doesnt appear to be leaking. As far as the arcing previously mentioned, pulled the plug and found it to be cracked on both sides of the porcelin.So i cleaned up the old one and put it on and no more arcing. Ill pick up a new plug tomorrow.I torqued them all to spec so dont know how it cracked but glad its not the wires. I did notice however that after driving it, theres oil at the bell housing..i just replaced the pump rear main seal and pan gasket.Im positive i installed the seal right only thing im questioning is it said to lightly oil which i did but it said if it wont be started for a few days to grease which i didnt and i didnt end up starting for about 4 days. What do you think?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,267 Likes on 3,014 Posts

Clean things up back there, (take the inspection plate off first...) reinstall starter without inspection plate, drive for a day or three, then look again. Might just be the pan seal leaking. They like to sneak out of place while reinstalling the pan.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:26 PM
DodgeRam10
Veteran

ok will do, im driving to california tomorrow for 10 days but i think it should be good till i get back.Ill keep an eye on the oil but its not enough to drip, just clinging to the bell housing

Old 05-27-2012, 11:28 PM
streetglow

I did mine with by barley cutting through inside pipe on opposite sides hairpins from outside with metal jigsaw and prying with big Flathead screw driver and hammer till inside splits and worked from there

Quick Reply: Tips for Cat Removal..