2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Valve Timing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:46 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What cam are you using? You will not feel the diff from -4 to +4 set it at 0 and forget it. If you are using an aftermarket cam then things might be a little different and that depends on the cams grind pattern. What differential do you have in that truck 3.73? not for the 9.25 rear.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

+4 for top end.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:13 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

wait, wait, wait...

+4 is advancing the cam, which increases low end power (slightly) by causing valve events to happen faster in relation to piston travel. The quicker closing intake valve helps build a bit more cylinder pressure and is desirable on a street truck.

-4 is retarding the cam which should help the higher end (slightly) as the valve events happen later in the piston stroke. Only do this if you've got a very specific build and you happen to be peaking out just before hitting the end of the 1/4 mile. It'll extend the high end power just a bit, but is also a bit more sluggish on the street.

I do agree that the gains either way will be minimal on a stock cam.

Here's a good read on camshafts and all the factors to consider:

http://www.circletrack.com/techartic...e/viewall.html

If that picture posted earlier in post #10 is the newer Mopar TC, it's good they've changed it. The old design had a tiny little dot that was actually the correct one to use when lining up the crank sprocket. Be wary if you have the older chain.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 07-10-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:27 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I debated this question with myself (happens quite often) and wondered...how often do I need low end vs top end....and the result was...Don't really know. Unless one uses truck for highway only and no towing or in town driving, top end may be the answer (but may be a dog getting there...) and if one is towing and pulling a load all the time, then low end. But then, for a highway machine, Rams ae NOT really an economical choice.....And the 46Re for heavy towing and pulling...not so much either.

So I opted for normal instead of +4 or -4, and let the SCT tune work to make truck the most useful.

mine isn't necessarily a daily driver, although I am on the highway quite often, using a truck with better mileage, and I do pull an occasional trailer.

Personal preference and what one wants to do with the truck again, I suppose, would be the correct choice.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:53 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Top end isn't for the highway either.

Think about what is really the top end: We're talking 4500-5500 RPM's. When are you turning those kinds of RPMs? Not on the highway cruising along. Even if you're towing in 3rd with the OD off, you're not approaching those RPMs. Only at the track do you need those kinds of gains. For a truck that gets driven and not raced, lower end power is what you want.

You don't need top end for the on-ramp either. Even with a low end built truck, you'll accelerate just fine on the ramp when you floor the skinny pedal, trust me.

I think guys muddle their heads up about top end because we read so many articles about racing and their specific needs that we just automatically port them over to our vehicles without really mulling it over.

500WHP sounds bada$$ until you think about how often you really need it. That's why the only mods I've done to my Challenger have been efficiency, sound, and looks. The thing can get into the 12's stock with decent tires. I don't really NEED faster, it's just want at that point.

I'll admit, lately I've been trying to convince myself that I don't NEED that sweet Kenne Bell 2.8L liquid-cooled blower in the black finish.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:10 PM
MeanMagnum99
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
wait, wait, wait...

+4 is advancing the cam, which increases low end power (slightly) by causing valve events to happen faster in relation to piston travel. The quicker closing intake valve helps build a bit more cylinder pressure and is desirable on a street truck.

-4 is retarding the cam which should help the higher end (slightly) as the valve events happen later in the piston stroke. Only do this if you've got a very specific build and you happen to be peaking out just before hitting the end of the 1/4 mile. It'll extend the high end power just a bit, but is also a bit more sluggish on the street.

I do agree that the gains either way will be minimal on a stock cam.

Here's a good read on camshafts and all the factors to consider:

http://www.circletrack.com/techartic...e/viewall.html

If that picture posted earlier in post #10 is the newer Mopar TC, it's good they've changed it. The old design had a tiny little dot that was actually the correct one to use when lining up the crank sprocket. Be wary if you have the older chain.
I was just actually reading your old post with IndyRamMan about when he decided to retard his valve timing by 4 deg. I have the new Mopar Perfomance timing set coming from summit racing in the mail. I was just figuring that with my MSaine transmission and the 2200 stall it would help to have a little extra power up top. I do a fair mix of city and highway driving. I also do have a stock cam, but plan to install Harland Sharp 1.7 ratio roller rockers in the near future. If you think it would just be better off to keep it at 0 then I will just keep it as so. I've just read alot about how retarding the cam timing 4 deg would be more beneficial overall versus advancing it. Here's the thread I was reading earlier: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...tall-done.html

Old 07-10-2012, 01:17 PM
MeanMagnum99
Professional

Originally Posted by merc225hp
What cam are you using? You will not feel the diff from -4 to +4 set it at 0 and forget it. If you are using an aftermarket cam then things might be a little different and that depends on the cams grind pattern. What differential do you have in that truck 3.73? not for the 9.25 rear.
Sorry, I have the 3.91 rear differential from Richmond Gear. I created my profile on my phone and I had 3.73 saved in my autocorrect dictionary from when I put 3.73's in my foxbody. Thanks for catiching that.

Last edited by MeanMagnum99; 07-10-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ooops. I sit corrected.

+4 is advancing the cam. Good for low end grunt.

-4 is retarding the cam, more for top end power.

Reference here.

Considering that our intake manifolds are flat out LOUSY for top end power, I don't think you would see much of a gain by retarding the cam, you WOULD notice the loss down low though.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:35 PM
MeanMagnum99
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ooops. I sit corrected.

+4 is advancing the cam. Good for low end grunt.

-4 is retarding the cam, more for top end power.

Reference here.

Considering that our intake manifolds are flat out LOUSY for top end power, I don't think you would see much of a gain by retarding the cam, you WOULD notice the loss down low though.
So with that being said, advancing my camshaft would be more beneficial? By the way, I appreciate all the input everyone is contributing here!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Considering your engine spends most of it's life in the lower RPM range... yeah. I would have to say advancing a bit would be most beneficial. Of course, if you go with a tuner, make sure whoever you chat with is AWARE that you have altered cam timing.

Quick Reply: Valve Timing Questions