2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

power steering pump still leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

No. If it starts whining shortly after it was put on, (and yours was within days, if not hours or minutes...) that is either a bad pump from the parts store, or a botched installation.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:11 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I got her back.Ill explain everything later...quick question how do I properly flush the gear box?

Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hook up the pressure line. Leave the return line disconnected from the pump. Jack up front of truck, and support it on jackstands. Point return line into bucket. (make sure it's gonna stay.... might have to hold it there.) Grab a friend, stick friend in drivers seat. Grab a BIG bottle of PS fluid....... Make sure pump is full, have friend start truck, and turn wheels from lock to lock. SLOWLY. You watch fluid coming out, and make sure the pump doesn't run dry. If you have to, have friend turn off truck while you catch up. Keep doing that till the fluid coming out of the box is nice and clean. Put return line back onto pump. Start engine, crank wheels lock to lock several times. If the fluid gets all foamy, shut off engine. Drink beer. Smoke cigarette. Check fluid again, if it looks ok now. Start engine.... etc. Air in the system will be bled out, and if there is any in there, the fluid will look foamy. When the system works nicely, doesn't make rude noises, and there are no air bubbles in the fluid, you are almost done. Top off the reservoir, put the cap on, and put the truck back on the ground. Drink another beer.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

thanks heyyou&evrybody else...well this is what happened.We went to pick up my truck&the owner wasn't there.They had a lot of excuses&we left...well my friends mom had told em who she talked to about the truck...her husband a 30 year retired Chrysler employee&get this!She told me how her close friend works for the local paper &they've already talked&called a few shops &there running a story on there shop!Ha!That's gnarly...well the shop called back like 2 minutes after we left&said they were gonna refund our money&how they never said they wouldn't..lol ok...well she said tell em to keep it.Were gonna have the last word.Well came home messed with steering box&replaced old pump &wouldn't ya know it fluid was clean ..but the pump had some rust in the threads!Bunch of thiefs!
I've been many things in my life&broke many laws,but I'm older&know better now but one thing I can't stand is a thief!Shouldn't nobody have to bust there back&then be ripe off Out of all of this what bothers me the most is that I went to them because they are right up the road from me&I thought I try to spend my money in my town opposed to going down the road.Kind of a help my neighbor deal ya know.Well thank you guys soooo much.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

So did it quit leakin'?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

oh snap!I can't belive I didn't say that,yup no leaking&no other issues.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
oh snap!I can't belive I didn't say that,yup no leaking&no other issues.
EXCELLENT!

Now, hang them thieves out to dry!

Quick Reply: power steering pump still leaking