2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

power steering pump still leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:15 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ask them to show you the metal from your supposedly blown steering box, that is causing pumps to fail on such a regular basis.

I think they are full of (deleted) personally. Wonder if they bothered to flush the system this time.....
Originally Posted by dlyter09
Id be having myself a real nice talk with the owner of that place.. They just do some shotty work and are trying to screw ya over...
its the owner I've been dealing with.&with my apperance&my record of assaults I have to hold my tongue sometimes because when I get in a argument I tend to snap&usually hurt someone.I've had more assaults then I can count so if cops get called usually with my record &being coverd in tattoos literally from head to toe they tend to take me to jail without asking who did what ya know.
My Almost mom&I call her that cause she's a friends mom that calls me son is actually the one that wrote the check&she has enough money to buy there place said she's going up there&going off.That sounds kind of gay I know but little old ladys can be hard to deal with

Old 07-17-2012, 07:34 PM
dlyter09
Champion

i hear ya on that man.. if she doesnt get anywhere id be getting ahold of a lawyer or something to get it all worked out

Old 07-17-2012, 08:12 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

I wonder if they got the pump with or without the reservoir

Old 07-17-2012, 08:34 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Most pumps don't come with pulley. You need a special tool to install it. If you just set the pulley on there, and whack it on with a hammer.... well, you are going to trash the pump. I would like to think the shop knows that, and actually HAS the tool..... But, in any event, pulley is just pressed on to the pump shaft. With the right tool, its rather hard to screw it up.......

Before I got to this post, I was already wondering if they just beat it on. That WILL screw one up. I would almost bet this is the issue! If there was debris in there, you should be able to "pour" it out with the fluid.....

Old 07-17-2012, 08:40 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

I didnt see any debris

Old 07-17-2012, 09:43 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

btw someone mentioned that maybe its. a valving problem in the gear box causing it to put to much stress on ps pump.What do you think about that?Id hate to replace gear box just for the yell of it.Seems like since my old pump never whined then why would these go out. so fast.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:55 PM
gdstock
Legend

I've torn down my gearbox and rebuilt it. Saw no such thing in there that would do that. Even if the gearbox totally blocked the flow, I would suspect pump would just lug down (it is not a direct displacement pump) and then blow a hose or seal.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

There is a flow control valve on the pump, it only provides pressure to the steering box when the box is asking for it. It also limits the available pressure. (don't think you can unbolt the line from the box, and NOT have spew fluid everywhere though.... pump sees that as the box ASKING for pressure, so it gets it...... )

Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

so could that cause a issue that fast?

Old 07-17-2012, 11:19 PM
gdstock
Legend

I would not think so, and it is included with the pump, so it is a different one each time they changed the pump. In the FAQ/DIY section there is a thread by VW about rebuilding his PS pump. Interesting thread. You may want to look at it to get a better understanding of the pump internals.

EDIT: HERE is VW's thread.

Last edited by gdstock; 07-17-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply: power steering pump still leaking