2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

power steering pump still leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:49 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering pump still leaking

ok so....I took my truck to get some gaskets&seals replaced&of you read in my other post the mechanic was a character...well that being said I told him I had a oil leak coming from power steering pump&they called&said yup pump is bad.
Usually I would do it but too busy so I had them.When I got her home I looked@it&there was oil coming from the same spot it was leaking already. Its the bottom line where it screws into the back of pump.Is there a o ring or something that goes in there?Called the shop supposed to bring truck back but there already acting like its not the pump.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a tough fitting to get tight. Crawl under with a wrench and try to tighten it. The front 4x4 suspension gets really makes it tough, but before you do anything with the shop try and fix it quick by tightening it yourself.

I'm pretty sure it isn't an O-ring connection it's a brass seat in the back of the pump and an inverted flare hose end on the hose. Could be wrong but I don't recall any O-rings on that connection.

Also, there are a pair of bolt holes in the back of the pump that are for older brackets that bolt the pump on from behind. I recall the new pump I installed had those ports open and unused and all was normal until I filled it with fluid and it started leaking from the unused bolt holes and it was running down the back of the pump and 'looked' like it was leaking from the pressure line.

Take a peak and see if the open bolt holes are unplugged because you may need to put some bolts or plugs in those if they are leaking.

BTW - Where are you located? Maybe I can offer my services in person.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

If you paid someone to fix it, and they didn't fix it right, take it back, and have them give it another attempt.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:07 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

I'm close to St.Louis&did take it back.Said the power steering pump is bad.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Ok so I'm really getting fusturated!So got in the truck the other day&ps pump was squealing really bad then no ps...took it to them&they had a attitude but finally replaced it.Got home&checked all my fluids &ps was bone almost empty.Started her up&went to pull out&went to turn my wheel&you could hear the ps pump grinding&everytime you try to turn the wheel it grinds really bad.
Im gonna take it back on Monday but I have a feeling there gonna try to give me the run around.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:41 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If pump runs dry for even a short period, it will cause damage. But as mentioned, the fix should be on them. If their work was bad and allowed it to leak, they should replace the pump again.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
Ok so I'm really getting fusturated!So got in the truck the other day&ps pump was squealing really bad then no ps...took it to them&they had a attitude but finally replaced it.Got home&checked all my fluids &ps was bone almost empty.Started her up&went to pull out&went to turn my wheel&you could hear the ps pump grinding&everytime you try to turn the wheel it grinds really bad.
Im gonna take it back on Monday but I have a feeling there gonna try to give me the run around.

If they give you the runaround, and you need help, and you think you can get to Columbia, I'll fix it free. Couple hour job. I even have a spare bracket so I can have a pump and pulley mounted in a bracket and swap brackets to make it a super quick and easy job.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:36 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

yeah gd I'm gonna run it back up there...they just had a real attitude problem &didn't say sorry when they replaced it last time&not a thank you.Nada..So I'm gonna try again.See what happens.Usually when people see me they start to act like I'm a criminal I'm like covers in tattoos like really really tattood

Old 07-15-2012, 01:08 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Originally Posted by Sooper
If they give you the runaround, and you need help, and you think you can get to Columbia, I'll fix it free. Couple hour job. I even have a spare bracket so I can have a pump and pulley mounted in a bracket and swap brackets to make it a super quick and easy job.
thanks I could do it myself but were having a new pole barn built&just too busy.Since its under warranty they should fix it.But he tryd to tell me that the steering gear box was bad but I know its not.So I'm thinking he's gonna say thats the problem,the other day after I brough it back up to have it replaced for the second time the first thingg he said was something about the gear box.I have some mechanics stehascope&stuck it right up to is pump&sure as water is wet that's where the noise is coming from.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:34 AM
97ram318slt
Rookie

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
Since its under warranty they should fix it.But he tryd to tell me that the steering gear box was bad but I know its not.So I'm thinking he's gonna say thats the problem,the other day after I brough it back up to have it replaced for the second time the first thingg he said was something about the gear box.I have some mechanics stehascope&stuck it right up to is pump&sure as water is wet that's where the noise is coming from.
He will say the gearbox is the problem just to get you to sink into somthing else i would tell him to replace the pump. its under warranty they need to replace it

Quick Reply: power steering pump still leaking