2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

power steering pump still leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Well, get your truck back, find out what brand pump they were putting on, and then DON'T buy that brand pump....... Do the work yourself, flush the gear box before sticking the return line back on the pump........ make sure the fluid runs out of there CLEAN before closing it all back up. Also make sure that it isn't something stupid like a nicked o-ring, or some such.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Well, get your truck back, find out what brand pump they were putting on, and then DON'T buy that brand pump....... Do the work yourself, flush the gear box before sticking the return line back on the pump........ make sure the fluid runs out of there CLEAN before closing it all back up. Also make sure that it isn't something stupid like a nicked o-ring, or some such.
soon as they put the old one back on Im gonna go buy a new one from the dealership...the ones they put on are remand from napa...have you ever heard of a gearing box causing the ps pump to go bad?I didn't see nothing in the pump..I will flush.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

I haven't even seen a steering gear box fail.... ever.... sloppier than a two-bit hooker, yeah, but, completely fail? Nope.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I haven't even seen a steering gear box fail.... ever.... sloppier than a two-bit hooker, yeah, but, completely fail? Nope.

My thoughts exactly. These gear boxes are on the tough side even when pushed, and when pushed really hard, they just wear faster. Not seen one failed.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

If you end up looking to get a new box, why not get the newer Delphi style aka the Borgeson Dodge Box? Not sure how much a replacement from the dealer is but, DodgeOffroad has the box for like $375 I think. When my PS stop leak stops working I'll probably buy the Borgeson box & shaft.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:38 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pump is the least complex component of the power steering system (other hthan hoses). And pumps are rated higher (pressure) than the devices they drive. I also have never heard of any steering gearbox fail to a point where they adversely effect a pump. The guys at that shop are just not real good...rtechnically or customer servvice wise, either one. You know they can get the part exchanged from their supplier!

I have installed a rebuilt pump from autozone on several vehicles overe a number of years....and never had a problem with them. I always get theo one with the lifetime warranty and not the cheapest one they have. My Ram has one on it at this time.

And +1 on flushing it out. Gearbox has a small oil capacity so it should not take much - just do not run the pump dry...and it will be messy....

If your gerabox is too sloppy, the Borgenson or Red Head are the way to go. But the Borgeson will not connect directly to your steering shaft...or so I read....without modifyuing or changing shaft.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

All you have to do to make the stock shaft fit to the borgeson is to grind down a little area on the box where the shaft connects. I also heard there is an adapter to make it fit instead of grinding it down, but haven't searched it yet.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:12 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

ok so these guys said yesterday they were gonna track down my old pump&put it on&give me my money back &today they said they couldn't find my old pump&put a new one on&that it started making noise the same as the last one&there not gonna refund my money err said your gear box is eating em up.I'm pissed.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much have you paid them so far?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:21 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

245 buck

Quick Reply: power steering pump still leaking