2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 06:04 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I change oil and filter every 3500 miles. The oil is always nearly black. We put a lot of hard miles on this engine, usually averaging 2250 rpm, and when the hills come or we are on the interstate it will run at about 4000rpm, cause we usually do towing. The engine makes a lot of noise now, never used to. It also shakes somewhat: I am guessing both bad pump and bearing. I noticed it because the oil pressure was really low when i was running it, and although it wasn't too low, it was lower than it ever was in the past. No it isn't low on oil either. The oil pressure is the lowest when the engine is at operating temperature.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:58 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by techningeer
I change oil and filter every 3500 miles. The oil is always nearly black. We put a lot of hard miles on this engine, usually averaging 2250 rpm, and when the hills come or we are on the interstate it will run at about 4000rpm, cause we usually do towing. The engine makes a lot of noise now, never used to. It also shakes somewhat: I am guessing both bad pump and bearing. I noticed it because the oil pressure was really low when i was running it, and although it wasn't too low, it was lower than it ever was in the past. No it isn't low on oil either. The oil pressure is the lowest when the engine is at operating temperature.
As I always say, I can't speak for anyone else's truck but as for mine the curb idle pressure (minimum) is 41.4 kPa (6psi) But operating pressure around 3000 RPMs or more is 207-552 kPa 30-80 (psi)..Low oil pressure possible causes include (not limited to) oil filter or suction tube being clogged/plugged up, pump going, sending unit, worn bearings, loose main bearing cap..not sure what the noises are would need a description or maybe a video (w/sound) posted..and maybe someone else could chime in here..results of your buddys diagnosis?

Old 08-02-2012, 07:10 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by lord0fsal3m
Hello, I recently cut off everything and am running open headers, I left the pre-cat O2 in tact and blew a CEL at start up, most likely you will get the same thing if you run straight pipes. As for the non-fouler trick, where would you put it if you chose run open headers? The computer is making her run rich and my mileage is down to 7-8MPG. I know there is a O2 simulator which fools your computer into thinking you have a very efficient cat installed, and you can buy from fastman. I contacted him and he told me he hasn't had them for a few months and doesn't know when/if they will be in. Any ideas where else they can be had or what I can do with the non-fouler?
If your running open heads how did you keep the upstream sensor in tact? Unless you mean still plugged in and just not screwed into anything...My only thought would be to leave the exaust pipe flange attached to the headers and cut the pipe at whatever distance you choose from the flange/headers connections and drill the hole for the non-fouler/O2 and there you go..weather that works
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Patt, I will post my buddy's opinion tomorrow cause I will be in town then. I don't have any really good way to get a video because the microphone on my cell phone is designed to filter out noises from vehicles. I always used to get 40psi idle. Now I only get 10-20. That is within specs, but I still know that something is wrong. I know the oil filter is good. It is hard to describe the sound. It is kind of a medium-pitched grinding noise, sometimes rattling, and other times rasping. It gets louder as i accelerate.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 PM
lord0fsal3m
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if I mislead you, I'm not running open headers, it's an open Y pipe with the upstream O2 sensor in tact.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:34 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by lord0fsal3m
Sorry if I mislead you, I'm not running open headers, it's an open Y pipe with the upstream O2 sensor in tact.
It's all good, I case you haven't seen it there's a thread somewhere here with the non-fouler procedure (it you need it )..Hope that link worked for you too...

Old 08-02-2012, 10:08 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Patt, I will post my buddy's opinion tomorrow cause I will be in town then. I don't have any really good way to get a video because the microphone on my cell phone is designed to filter out noises from vehicles. I always used to get 40psi idle. Now I only get 10-20. That is within specs, but I still know that something is wrong. I know the oil filter is good. It is hard to describe the sound. It is kind of a medium-pitched grinding noise, sometimes rattling, and other times rasping. It gets louder as i accelerate.
Wow, no kidding 10-20..I had that rattling too, when I did the plenum job I also replaced the valve cover gaskets. When I had the cover off on the passenger side (where the noise was coming from) I checked the torque on the rocker arm bolts and one was far from spec..haven't had that rattle since..If you do your own work it wouldn't hurt to do a motor flush (I would use 'gunk' brand $3.50) then change oil and if you got the coin put a new pump/suction tube assembly in..clean all the sludge out of the bottom of the pan too..the pump @ rock auto is about $25 Well worth it, if you have the $$ and can do it..I sure you can!! (unless you have replaced it at some point already)

Last edited by It's Me Patt; 08-02-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:38 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by It's Me Patt
It's all good, I case you haven't seen it there's a thread somewhere here with the non-fouler procedure (it you need it )..Hope that link worked for you too...
This one might be better and cheaper than a simulator!

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

and the link to the procedure..

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...converter.html

Last edited by It's Me Patt; 08-02-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:10 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Ok, I got my friends opinion. He says that it isn't the oil pump or main bearings. He thought it was the a/c comp or water pump. Come out today and water pump is leaking coolant all over. So it is time to do water pump. I'll post pictures of my work on this truck, as I am prepping it for a SCT Tuner, replacing cat with straight pipe, fixing plenum and whatever else comes up unawares.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:35 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Ok, I got my friends opinion. He says that it isn't the oil pump or main bearings. He thought it was the a/c comp or water pump. Come out today and water pump is leaking coolant all over. So it is time to do water pump. I'll post pictures of my work on this truck, as I am prepping it for a SCT Tuner, replacing cat with straight pipe, fixing plenum and whatever else comes up unawares.
The WP or AC comp could for sure be a source of the noise! And the huge puddle just proves you were correct. As for cat damage/failure that for sure would be a result of a blown plenum gasket, along with a #8 fouled plug, causing a #8 mis...As for the low oil pressure I thought you mentioned needing a new pump..A bad plenum would drink lots of oil. But if you have the correct level when checked, but low psi, that points back to the pump and/or the suction tube screen being clogged..At least that's what I think is going on with my truck...Anyways, I got a tip from a little birdy, when you pull the fan clutch and set it aside keep it in the position as it would be in the truck (vertical)...AND..PB Blaster is your Friend! Good Luck!!

Last edited by It's Me Patt; 08-08-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter