2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starter squeals when being turned over every now and then.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012 | 06:37 PM
EndIsNear
|
Record Breaker
Default Starter squeals when being turned over every now and then.

So I've noticed lately that my starter will squeal, and sound like its binding some (enough that the crank "noise" slows down), every now and then. Not every crank. Just randomly. Sometimes two or three times in a row, sometimes a few days in between. Whats the deal guys? Starter has been replaced in the past 3 years or so.

Old 09-10-2012 | 09:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Got a warranty on your dieing starter?

Old 09-10-2012 | 09:49 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

gotta ask,
your 100% it's the starter? what brand? dust or debris in there could be the culprit, could be the gear binding up on the shaft..should pull it and check it out if your sure it's the starter that's the cause of the symptoms...

Old 09-10-2012 | 10:18 PM
EndIsNear
|
Record Breaker

Unfortunately I believe the warranty is up. Only reason I assumed it was the starter is because I only heard it when I started it. Running normally I've never heard any unfamiliar sounds. Ill try to catch a video of it if I can tomorrow...

Old 09-11-2012 | 12:26 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by EndIsNear
Unfortunately I believe the warranty is up. Only reason I assumed it was the starter is because I only heard it when I started it. Running normally I've never heard any unfamiliar sounds. Ill try to catch a video of it if I can tomorrow...
We were wondering about the brand (and warranty) seeing as how the price range can go from like $75 to over $200..If it's a cheap one u might want to just scrap it and get another but rebuilding is a good option if was a more costly one..fix or repair sooner than later otherwise the $$ will go to the tow man 1st...plus getting stranded sux!

Old 09-11-2012 | 12:50 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Make sure all of the torque converter bolts are in place and properly torqued. Inspect the gear on the drive plate -- if you've got partially shorn gear teeth it'll scream like a banshee, but only if it's on those partially shorn teeth that the starter nose gear first engages. After that, disable the ignition and watch the drive plate as the starter turns it through at least a complete revolution. If the plate is untrue such that the outer edge appears to move fore and aft, that's a problem to be corrected -- before it eats the transmission front pump, which it eventually will.

Old 09-11-2012 | 04:36 PM
ALLDATAdiyINFO
Former Vendor

Alldatadiy.com has symptom related information along with repairs to assist in you solving your issues. Good Luck!!

Old 11-22-2012 | 02:35 PM
EndIsNear
|
Record Breaker

Hey guys heres a link to a video i finally shot of my squeal. Its not as bad in this video as it has been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fCL...e_gdata_player

Old 11-22-2012 | 11:13 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

says 'the vid is private'

Old 11-22-2012 | 11:54 PM
EndIsNear
|
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by It's Me Patt
says 'the vid is private'
Okay i appreciate it. Should be fixed now. Didnt realize it was private.

Quick Reply: Starter squeals when being turned over every now and then.