2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd Gen EFI in a 1st Gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 09:42 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rebuild kit showed up yesterday! Just need to pick up some assembly lube and engine paint.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 AM
Scooter78
Captain

Found a fuel pump on ebay. What do you guys think about this? I sent them an email, asking if it is designed for daily driver use. Just waiting on a response. Happy Easter, by the way! http://www.ebay.com/itm/150988689131?item=150988689131&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,397 Likes on 3,137 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter78
Found a fuel pump on ebay. What do you guys think about this? I sent them an email, asking if it is designed for daily driver use. Just waiting on a response. Happy Easter, by the way! EFI in Line Electric Fuel Gas Pump 290LPH Blue Adjustable Pressure Regulator | eBay
If you read a little further down in the description, you will find:

Universal in tank; 290 LPH (Liters Per Hour)

Won't work as an in-line pump, will burn it up in short order. The title for the ad is misleading.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:30 AM
Scooter78
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you read a little further down in the description, you will find:

Universal in tank; 290 LPH (Liters Per Hour)

Won't work as an in-line pump, will burn it up in short order. The title for the ad is misleading.

Dang! Had my hopes up. Thanks for pointing that out. Any other suggestions in the $100 ish price range? I dont really want to spend 2 bills on a fuel pump if I can help it.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 AM
Scooter78
Captain

For that price, and with the regulator and gauge included, it would almost be worth dropping the tank for in install. I just really prefer the ease of swapping inline out-of-tank pumps.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Scooter78
Captain
Default Alright... Stupid question time.

Plug behind camshaft... Standard freeze plug?

Old 04-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Scooter78
Captain

-New fuel pump showed up yesterday.
-Fuel pressure regulator should be here by monday.
-Waiting on a ring set for one piston (I broke my #2 cylinder's 2nd compression ring while installing it.)
-Waiting for pressure regulator to arrive, so that I can buy new EFI fuel line.
-Then, oil pan, heads, timing cover... Then... SWAP TIME!

Old 04-12-2013, 01:10 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Thats what I was hoping for, but I have decided that I am going to install a couple of dummy lights like these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rn...2/media/images for my "low oil pressure" warning as well as my CEL. Still havent decided if I am going to mount the CEL in plain view, or hidden because Im sure it will be on all the time due to the lack of VSS and no info from the trans.
You think if I wire the oil pressure switch and temp sensor from the '94 to my '78 cluster, it will work? That would be great!
FYI CEL will NOT come on for transmission problems on 1997 and earlier PCMs - I have verified this myself.

Edit: Some people report it will come on if the transmission overheats.

Last edited by aofarrell2; 04-12-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:30 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Cut the runners and shortened the divider in my plenum before I swap engines. I'll pick up some carbide bits tonight, so I can smooth out the edges. I'll also use them to gasket match and bowl blend my heads while Im installing new valve seals and lapping my valves.
Also, I noticed in other peoples threads about the plenum mods, they eliminate the center divider. Mine has an EGR port, and a tube cast into the divider, so I just shaved off the material on top of that. Anyone else seen this?
i have been working on cleaning a intake for my 93.also have the egr stuff. i just plan on cleaning up all the rough cast and polishing things up nice.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Scooter78
Captain

Thats pretty much what mine looks like. I may have done a more aggressive angle of cut on mine, because to the eye, it would appear that it would angle the runner into a larger area, possibly picking up more air. Just a guess though. I figured if I kept a similar angle as the factory, it would be keeping the runner aimed at the belly pan. I know people say if you cut too much, it will move the power band up in the RPM range, but since I am going from a carbed 318 to a new/rebuilt, EFI 5.9, I will be pleased with the power increase either way. Only other difference is that I cut the ridge on the EGR "tube" nearly flush, and then at its lowest point, continued that depth the rest of the way. Ill be smoothing mine up in the morning. I'll get a picture up tommorow. Im running late for work now. Lol... Stinkin DF.

Oh, Also... Are you going to smooth/alter the Injector bosses as well? Im thinking about it, because I can actually see where the spray pattern has hit the bottom of the boss. Its alot cleaner there than the rest of the intake.

Last edited by Scooter78; 04-12-2013 at 04:07 PM.