2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what's your average mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 AM
baileysoffroad
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew this would kick back some intellectual responses..

Old 01-08-2013, 02:05 AM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by baileysoffroad
not to poke at you here but so is natural gas, propane and methane...all commonly found in or around your home. just sayin.
Then again, most people don't drive their homes around....

Water4gas and HHO systems are scams and potentially dangerous if you crash or bring a flame near the gas. Not to mention the state of Texas sued water4gas because their product is bs.

Nice truck btw

Old 01-08-2013, 02:31 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are propane and cng powered vehicle's all over the place. They run cleaner, longer between maintenance intervals and just as safe as gas if not safer.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

The water4gas, HHO, etc... systems don't work. It requires more energy to crack water molecules that you get out of burning them, (and hence, recombining...)

There are hundreds of these types of systems out there on the market, NONE of them are worth a tinkers damn. Do you seriously think that if the auto manufactures had the potential to double the fuel economy of some of their gas hogs, they would JUMP on the technology? Especially in this day and age of federally mandated fuel efficiency numbers?

Nope. Doesn't work. Never will.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by duckslayer5032
I order the Hughes plenum its on its way now ill update you guys and see if it was the problem
Let me know if this works. I'm at 110,000 miles and i didn't replace my plenum, o2s, or anything yet.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:08 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

Im not quite sure where you went to school techningeer.....but WATER is a byproduct of combustion PERIOD. Your producing h2o now while burning your petrol..so not quite sure what your trying to say here.

Combustion or burning is the sequence of exothermic chemical reactions between a fuel and an oxidant accompanied by the production of heat and conversion of chemical species. The release of heat can produce light in the form of either glowing or a flame. Fuels of interest often include organic compounds (especially hydrocarbons) in the gas, liquid or solid phase.
In a complete combustion reaction, a compound reacts with an oxidizing element, such as oxygen or fluorine, and the products are compounds of each element in the fuel with the oxidizing element. For example:
CH4 + 2 O2 → CO2 + 2 H2O + energy

A simple example can be seen in the combustion of hydrogen and oxygen, which is a commonly used reaction in rocket engines:
2 H2 + O2 → 2 H2O(g) + heat
The result is water vapor.

Complete combustion is almost impossible to achieve. In reality, as actual combustion reactions come to equilibrium, a wide variety of major and minor species will be present such as carbon monoxide and pure carbon (soot or ash). Additionally, any combustion in atmospheric air, which is 79 percent nitrogen, will also create several forms of nitrogen oxides.

In complete combustion, the reactant burns in oxygen, producing a limited number of products. When a hydrocarbon burns in oxygen, the reaction will only yield carbon dioxide and water. When elements are burned, the products are primarily the most common oxides. Carbon will yield carbon dioxide, nitrogen will yield nitrogen dioxide, sulfur will yield sulfur dioxide, and iron will yield iron(III) oxide.

Incomplete combustion will only occur when there is not enough oxygen to allow the fuel to react completely to produce carbon dioxide and water. It also happens when the combustion is quenched by a heat sink such as a solid surface or flame trap.
For most fuels, such as diesel oil, coal or wood, pyrolysis occurs before combustion. In incomplete combustion, products of pyrolysis remain unburnt and contaminate the smoke with noxious particulate matter and gases. Partially oxidized compounds are also a concern; partial oxidation of ethanol can produce harmful acetaldehyde, and carbon can produce toxic carbon monoxide.
Yes H2O is a byproduct of ANY combustion, however, hydrogen and oxygen when burned create primarily H2O, not little traces.

CNG and Propane burning vehicles are more efficient than a gasoline engine, and aren't too hard to find. It also isn't terribly hard to convert a engine to propane or CNG if you have access to the parts.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Propane/CNG are more efficient? Erm, how so? Less energy per unit volume of fuel.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

Hmm? They are not quite as powerful but when tuned properly are more efficient (use less fuel) from what I have observed. Of course if you do towing it wouldn't be more efficient. In some places like around here propane is cheaper to buy than gasoline.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 AM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

It wouldnt be explosive in a crash as there is no storage of HHO...it would just be water and baking soda solution to leak out. Using hydrogen for fuel is nothing new. Lots of ppl out there are thinking up innovative fuel cells and methods to make it a viable option...

I for one...plan to play around with it a little...itll make a good science project for my daughter this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Zu-Hg6ntgqI

When i was a kid....a guy built a carb. that would get a big block gas hog 50 mpg. Petro companies bought it out and it never makes it to market...this is the same scenario for many great products....shut down by those profiting the most from oil and gas.

I actually found this hho production interesting....i tell ya what...ill play around with it...and see what i come up with...if it works.....ill consider reporting back

this guys videos i found the most interesting...he gets good production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Qn4CGlZp4

Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I for one...plan to play around with it a little...itll make a good science project for my daughter this year.
And when you're done, you can lubricate snakes!

Quick Reply: what's your average mpg?