2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tv cable & accelerator cable adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Have a look at the trans end then, and see what's going on down there. If all seems well, and things move as they should, see if you can adjust it up correctly. (procedure is in the service manual, which you can find for free somewhere around here.... PDF download.) You will want the 01 version.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CSDavies26
the location is on the driver's side of the tranny, right by an electrical plug. the cable sits on a rod connected to the valve body along with the shifter cable. This thing is a PITA to take off the rod because the bolt likes to rust and it is at a horrible angle to get a wrench or socket on. Hopefully it can be adjusted without having to be taken off the rod...

*edit
I believe there is also a spring hooked to it as well...it shouldnt be hard to locate
Oh how i love when a simple looking job turns into a PITA. So how would I adjust the cable near the transmission? Or am i just looking for broken parts that may need replacement? (Such as the rod or spring you mentioned)

Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional
Smile

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Have a look at the trans end then, and see what's going on down there. If all seems well, and things move as they should, see if you can adjust it up correctly. (procedure is in the service manual, which you can find for free somewhere around here.... PDF download.) You will want the 01 version.
Yea, im definitely going to have a look at that tomorrow. Can you give me an idea of where to find the manual? Sorry im a noob to the website

Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The manual is HERE. At the bottom near the tranny, check to see that there is a spring that connects to the lever for the TV cable.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM
SomeRandomIdiot

sounds like either the cable stretched or the spring is missing

Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ballstimeballs
Oh how i love when a simple looking job turns into a PITA. So how would I adjust the cable near the transmission? Or am i just looking for broken parts that may need replacement? (Such as the rod or spring you mentioned)
Umm I honestly wasn't looking to adjust mine while I was down there, I was simply disconnecting it to remove the valve body to do a little tranny mod. My spring and everything was still in really good shape and the cable mounted back to the rod just as it was...sorry I can't be of further help on this one

Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

All adjustment is up at the throttle body, if you don't have enough adjustment to set the cable correctly, replace the cable.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:45 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Okay, so thismorning I was able to make the tv cable tighter and work simultaneously with the accelerator cable. I checked underneath the truck by the transmission.. good news is everything is there and intact from what I can see. But.. with the line tightened it will not come out of first gear no matter how I adjust the cable. Im thinking something is seized up on the transmission end. Can someone give me an idea of what these parts do? I know that as the cable tightens it pulls the spring.. but it looks like the other end of where the spring meets is seized up.. idk how this mechanism is supposed to work, and for some reason I cant view the manual I downloaded.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:48 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Also, if I take the cable completely off the throttle lever the truck operates normally and switches gears. (Somehow!)

Old 01-15-2013, 01:57 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

If I pull the tv cable near the transmission I can see the lever move and the spring tightens. But that is all I can figure out.. its the other end of this spring that im questioning. Idk whats supposed to happen after the spring tightens.

Quick Reply: Tv cable & accelerator cable adjustments