2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tv cable & accelerator cable adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 01:58 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So your saying that completely removing the TV cable still allows your truck to run and shift fine?? There isnt something right about that...

Old 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Yea i know... i really dont understand whats going on here. I believe I may have found the solution but im still unsure. I think that the spring that connects to the lever by the transmission may be worn. When I push the cable fully forward it gets rid of the slack I have at the throttle body. But after I drive down the street and the throttle opens the spring in not pulling the cable back into its fully forward position, and i am left with slack at the throttle body again. Maybe my transmission is still operating because of the position the lever by the transmission gets stuck in.. anyways im going to try and find a much stronger spring and maybe that will solve the issue..

Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Yeah, the TV cable alters shift points via trans pressure to move shift points around. If the trans thinks your at WOT all the time, it is going to hold gears till the cows come home. Replace the spring, make sure that levers moves relatively easily, and isn't hanging up at all.... should be golden.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

I think the lever is a little less forgiving than it should be, i put a new spring on and it wasnt strong enough to pull the lever all the way forwards. (The original spring was much weaker) However.. i am happy to say i drove 2 hours straight with no skipping or hunting between gears. I averaged 15.5 mpg highway and i believe i am free of transmission troubles Thank you everyone for your help!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Since installing the spring the lever has loosened up with some persuasion of wd40. So its officially problem solved and case closed! There is no more slack at the throttle body. Again, thank you!

Old 03-19-2013, 02:52 PM
mrau92me
Rookie

I highly recommend that you follow up the WD40 with a light lubricant, like a general purpose oil or silicone lube perhaps. Contrary to popular belief, WD40 is not a lubricant. Yes, it's for freeing stuck bolts and mechanisms, and it's done it's job in your case. But, once WD40 dries, which takes a little bit of time, it actually leaves a sticky residue, and your problem could resurface sooner.

Quick Reply: Tv cable & accelerator cable adjustments