2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PCM flash

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:12 AM
WAGNASTY3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM flash

So I recently got new o2 sensors and now my truck seems to be gutless. I am wanting to get a sct tuner from hemifever, and I plan on doing that in a few months. Before I do that, for right now would the $90 PCM flash be worth it?
I have a 2000 v10.
Thanks for the help

Old 04-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

What brand sensors did you use? They shouldn't hurt performance. I would fix that issue before considering a flash.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 AM
WAGNASTY3

I used bosch ones.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Some of these trucks don't take well to Bosch sensors, Try NTK sensors see if that helps. Fwiw I have just the opposite truck hates NTK and likes Bosch.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:52 PM
guzman
Professional
Default o2 sensors

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Some of these trucks don't take well to Bosch sensors, Try NTK sensors see if that helps. Fwiw I have just the opposite truck hates NTK and likes Bosch.
Before I read all the bad things about Bosch I had already purchased
& installed a set and have run them with great results I might add so thought I would throw that in as well.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:32 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guzman
Before I read all the bad things about Bosch I had already purchased
& installed a set and have run them with great results I might add so thought I would throw that in as well.
It's hit and miss with Bosch, not worth it. Bosch O2 sensors were originally made for a Ford EEC system, not a Dodge JTEC/NG system.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 PM
guzman
Professional
Default Bosch

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
It's hit and miss with Bosch, not worth it. Bosch O2 sensors were originally made for a Ford EEC system, not a Dodge JTEC/NG system.

So you are saying the Bosch sensors sold for the Dodge Rams are really for a Ford EEC system, so are the distributors of these misleading the public???

Old 04-09-2013, 07:26 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guzman
So you are saying the Bosch sensors sold for the Dodge Rams are really for a Ford EEC system, so are the distributors of these misleading the public???
Here's the whole story on Oxygen sensors. Years ago in the day when most people had carburetors, Ford decided to make a EFI system. Instead of going with the more expensive MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor system, they decided to ask Bosch to make a sensor that could detect the air/fuel ratio inexpensively. Hence Bosch made the first Oxygen sensor. These could only operate effectively with a air/fuel ratio of between 13.5:1 and 14.5:1. Bosch was able to make these sensors much cheaper than the MAF sensor, and so the SD (speed density) sensor system was introduced. Later, Dodge decided it wanted to get into the EFI market (or rather needed to). So, Dodge asked Denso to make a suitable sensor since Bosch was making one for Ford, and couldn't make one for Dodge. Denso designed a sensor, and away Dodge went. Now here's where it comes tricky: Dodge and Ford use different ECU (Engine Control Unit, also known as PCM) strategies. The strategy is how the ECU determines how much fuel to give, etc. It's a table in the ECU that the ECU references against sensor values to determine the correct outputs, or actuating of injectors, and other parts (EGR, EVAP, etc.). Inside a ECU is a "noise reduction" system, designed to eliminate the variability of sensor signals, to help the ECU maintain stability of the system. While they all use capacitors inside the ECU to do this, Dodge and Ford used different filtering, based on the needed signal to match the strategy. Hence when Bosch was able to make a oxygen sensor for Dodges later, they tried to make a sensor that would be compatible with the Dodge system, but it was still too close to a Ford sensor to be able to effectively operate. Basically all they did was take a sensor designed for a Ford and changed it enough to make the output voltage close to the Dodge system. But the "noise" produced by a Bosch sensor cannot be filtered out all the way by a Dodge ECU, and so hence the problems with Bosch sensors. However the Fords have no problems with the "noise" produced by a Bosch sensor as they were designed to eliminate it. So here's the interesting fact: Fords have the same problem, but with Denso sensors. Why? All of the above. This applies to all Ford MCU, EEC-4 and earlier EFI ECUs, and Dodge JTEC/NG3/NG4 ECUs (1996-2001, I do not know about the 1994 and 1995 models, they use a different ECU).

I've been asked then, why are most Wideband Bosch sensors in Dodges okay? Two reasons: Because the PCM has been tuned enough to cope with it (always), and Wideband O2 sensors were made AFTER the early O2 sensor issue.

I've spent alot of time researching this and this is my conclusion - do the research yourself and it will check out. (I've got the advantage - I've got documents describing the strategies of both Ford EEC-4 and Dodge JTEC/NG3/NG4 ECUs).

Old 04-09-2013, 07:46 PM
guzman
Professional
Default Sensor

Thanks for the info. on the sensors.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:12 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And Yota uses MAF and Denso sensors....

I run Denso on Yota and Ram. No problems on either. (and Denso is OEM on many Yota parts)

Quick Reply: PCM flash