2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hub&steering knuckle issue..can't remove

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:48 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hub&steering knuckle issue..can't remove

The other side is fine & this caliber appears to be fine.I was able to get a steering knuckle from the boneyard they already had it pulled.I then got the new hub came home& none of my sockets in my axle socket set fit turns out its 43mm I went to my buddys shop & the closest thing he has is a 1& 3/4 well on the new hub it'll fit between the lip down the middle but on the old one it won't fit in there.My only thought is to cut the studs & lip off.Anybody else have an idea?None of the parts stores has any other sockets

Old 12-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't get the axle nut off? If so, I had a problem with one of mine when I changed hub assembly's. Nothing would work, lotsa leverage, impact wrench, even heated it up with oxy-acetylene torch. Finally got it by popping the wheel studs out of the rotor, there's one place you drive them out without hitting anything. Cut half the lip off with a 7" angle grinder so I could get a straight shot at the nut with a cold chisel. Got it. It was junk anyway. Obviously you'll need a new nut if you have to do something like that.
If you think you can get it once you get the socket on it, you could pop all of the studs out and cut all of the lip off. Just have to be careful not to mess up the nut in the process.

Last edited by Arde; 12-13-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:19 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

What the problem is I couldn't find a 43mm socket but read that a 1&3/4 will fit &I went to my buddys shop & he had one but the problem is it wount fit in the hole because the socket it too thick so I'm thinking I can cut the lip off & it'll work cuz the whole on the new hub is bigger

Old 12-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the nut on the dana 60 was 43mm or 1 11/16

napa had one. as does tractor supply but they are all 3/4 drive

Old 12-13-2013, 10:31 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Best fit is 43MM - next best is 1-11/16" - I have an Armstrong 1-11/16" socket and it fits on the nut and inside the hub register perfectly. The socket is a 3/4" drive socket, however, an adapter can be used to 1/2" drive. Harbor Freight sells impact grade adapters.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:48 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

So the 1&3/4 won't work?I need a little more info the fella @ the salvage yard who pulled the knuckle said "its easy undo the 3 bolts off of the back of hub & pop off pittman arm &the axle will slide right out" or something close to that But the book says you have to pull the shock,the coil,drop the drive shaft & a whole bunch of stuff.Now is this true?What's the easiest way to remove the hub assembly & steering knuckle.SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.I'm gonna go look up some info via the sites search feature If I find it out Ill let you guys know.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove the 3 spindle bolts from the back after you remove the caliper and you can remove the hub assembly and axle as one unit.
Disconnect the tie rod from the knuckle and remove the ball joints and tap the knuckle out with a hammer. If you have ABS, you'll have to unplug that first also.
You don't have to remove shocks or springs or anything else to get the hub assembly and knuckle off.
If your not replacing the stub shaft as well, you're gonna have to get that axle nut off. Be easier to do while it's still on the truck.

Last edited by Arde; 12-14-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Autozone had the 1/2 to 3/4 drive adapter I needed. They also had the right size socket.

Quick Reply: hub&steering knuckle issue..can't remove