2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Ram 46RE Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:49 PM
99withflat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is not directly related but I am looking for the thread or advice on a similar truck it is a 96 1500 4x4 and had just lost third gear, shift strong and clean on every other gear besides second to third gear. If you shift from drive to neutral and then back to drive you can "manually" shift it into third. I have bought a filter and fluid change but while I'm in there, what should I check for specifically? Abnormal chunks of metal is the only thing I know of. I've read about the pressure sensor/selinoid . Any tips or ideas? I appreciate the time on it!

Old 01-10-2014, 10:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Band adjustment as well, if it hasn't been done for a while. (or at all, that you are aware of.)

Yeah, basically, anything in the pan besides trans fluid. Expect to see some furry stuff around the magnet, that's pretty normal, just not an excessive amount of what is obviously metal. (post a pic if you can, if you have questions/doubts about it.)

If you don't already have one, grab the 96 service manual from the FAQ section here. (service manual thread) Procedure for doing band adjustment is in there.

You *might* want to pull the governor pressure sensor, and solenoid, and at least make sure they aren't gunked up.... but, given your symptoms, don't think I would go for replacement just yet...... Now, that said, you are going to be RIGHT there...... and you can pick up the borg warner set for around 100 bucks off ebay. (heavy duty solenoid, and a pressure sensor.... I think the sensor is pretty much the stock unit though.) The stock pieces do have issues.... (not self-cleaning....) but, if it ain't broke..... Up to you on that aspect of it. (if you have the cash, just do it.)

Old 01-14-2014, 10:10 PM
99withflat

I appreciate the time, so I did the service and front band adjustment. Service went well, was due but nothing unusual in the pan minus the magnet missing out of the pan. But on the band adjustment, book calls for 72 inch pounds then back it off 2 and 7/8 turns. Did so, drove it and was delayed shifting occurred through first and second took it back home and made adjustments by hand and shifting got better. I tightened the adjustment screw two or three times a little at a time , and got it to shift through all the gears but shifted just above 3000 rpm. I backed the screw back off now it doesn't go into any gear but reverse. I tightened the screw back down, now when I put it in reverse it act like its under strain. But won't move and still doesn't take any gear. Any ideas on that ?

Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wonder if something fell out. Like a band anchor, or strut. Drop the pan again, see what ya got.

The following users liked this post:
Webalchermist (10-02-2021)
Old 01-21-2014, 03:13 PM
99withflat

Also , went to drag it into the barn today and the back axle isn't locked up but always acts like it is in gear in neutral even if you put the transfer case in neutral if that brings up any more ideas. Still dragging it to the barn then ill drop the pan and check on that idea as well. Thank you again

Old 01-21-2014, 03:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

With the t-case in neutral, the transmission is no longer part of the equation, you have more going on there than just a trans problem.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:18 AM
Mechanoman

Hello. I've looked through the site looking for my specific issue,but no luck. All kinds of transmission blunders here. I have a 97 Ram 1500 4x4. My original issue was missing second gear. I had to rev the engine up to about 5K RPM at about 50 mph to get it to skip second gear. I attempted adjustment to find that the band strut and anchor had fallen out. I replaced the band because of obvious reasons. Wear and tear causing the strut and anchor to fall. Anyway, I got everything back together. Adjusted the rear band. Torqued it to 72 in/lbs. Then backed off 2 full turns. Torqued the front band to 72 in/lbs and then back it off 2.25 to 2.5 turns. My torx bit slipped out. Replaced filter and fluid. Test drove it. Shifted first to second, but wouldn't downshift back to first after coming to a stop. Manually shifted it back to first and it works. So it up shifts, but not downshift. Did I mess up the adjustment of the second gear band? I read here that many people recommended backing off 2 full turns on both bands because 2 7/8 turns is a little too sloppy. I was thinking that 2 turns may have not been enough. The rear band was backed off according to spec. from what I read here, saw on youtube, and read on several google sites. The front band had differing notes. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Think I redo the band adjustment, and see if things didn't improve. I would also check TV cable adjustment.....

Old 03-17-2018, 02:26 PM
Mechanoman

Ok. I will check it out when I get off work. T.v. cable seems to be working ok. If I smash the throttle at 20 mph, it will hit first. If I'm wrong, how do I adjust it? The linkage goes on only one way?

Old 03-17-2018, 06:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The adjustment is up at the throttle body. I *think* the procedure is in the service manual..... (get one here.) If you can't find it, I know it is posted in a couple older threads here. A search should turn it up.

Quick Reply: 1997 Ram 46RE Transmission Issue