2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weatherstrip Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:59 AM
JeremyMichael
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weatherstrip Questions.

Okay, my Dodge is 14 years old, and from what I can tell one or two pieces or more of weatherstripping are missing from the truck, and I don't know if this is causing what I am about to ask, or if it's common. The weather stripping under the hood, in the corners of the cowl that close and seal the gaps between the cowl and the engine bay are both missing, will that cause harm in the future? Or is it purely for aesthetics to look nice?

And Also I am wondering if these pieces missing can cause so much water to run down inside of the car door area that is somewhat open to the elements where the door connects to the body, because this morning with all the ice and snow we had, my door was almost frozen shut because so much water was frozen over the hinges, is it common for water to just freely drain down that area? If not what can I do to prevent this lol.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:26 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what those seals do is keep the water from running under the hood and possibly down on to the door hinges. Those seals were missing on my 2000 ram when I got it, so I bought a new ones from LMC Truck, but there expensive, at $20.00 dollars each.

I havn`t put them on yet, because its to cold and wet to do it.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:17 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional

The ones I am missing are the corner seals that lay at the very edge of both sides of the cowl in the shape of an L, I called the Dodge dealer and they said they had things called Cowl Vent corner seals, which I believe is what I am missing, and I am hoping that is what is allowing the water to drain into the door hinge area.

They are only about $6 each.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Go and have a look if the dealer has them on the shelf.... see if they are the right ones. If so, snag 'em.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:25 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional

Sadly they didn't have them on the shelf, they have to order them lol, so theyll be in tomorrow and i'll go check them out, could both of these be the possible reason so much water gets down into the door hinge area?

Old 03-04-2014, 02:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Doubt it. The mount forward on the cowl, under the hood a bit. Water naturally drains down at the base of the windshield, and runs down the door hinge area. My daughters Corsica has the same issue, with the same results. The doors get frozen shut....

Old 03-04-2014, 02:42 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional

Ah!, so is it a defect on my car or do most vehicles do it? And if my Dodge is or isn't the only one with the issue (lol) what is a good way to minimize the issue? If it's something that is designed to happen on a Dodge, or any vehicle for that matter I won't worry about it as much, but if it's not common, i'd like to take some measure to decrease the amount of water that get's down there lol.

You will have to forgive me for some of the questions I ask, This is my first vehicle and I am slowly learning as much as I can, therefore I ask a lot of questions lol.

Last edited by JeremyMichael; 03-04-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Don't think there is a whole lot you can do about it, aside from parking inside.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:46 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional

Sadly that isn't an option lol, I may look into a truck cover >.<, so do you have the same issue with your Dodge?

Old 03-04-2014, 05:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Mine gets parked in the garage.

Quick Reply: Weatherstrip Questions.