2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Ruff Idle Wont Go Away

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 02:38 PM
wlatour
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Ruff Idle Wont Go Away

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Gas 360. MY new issue is the ruff idle. Changed plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Pickup Coil, Lower Coil. Then I changed Idle air, Mass Flow, Throttle position, two fuel injectors that I was getting codes on. Had pressure test done and they are fine. My dealer said I had a bad ECM Control Module? Any Thoughts??

Old 09-21-2014, 02:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Fixed the plenum? How did the old plugs look? Done a compression test? Change the crank sensor? Does it do it right away, or, only after running for a few minutes?

Old 09-22-2014, 02:30 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might want to add a signature

Last edited by It's Me Patt; 09-27-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:35 PM
wlatour
Amateur
Default Parts Changed

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Fixed the plenum? How did the old plugs look? Done a compression test? Change the crank sensor? Does it do it right away, or, only after running for a few minutes?

Never touched the Plenum? I do have a loud air leak when I first start it? It's coming from back of the Throttle Body. Plugs were ok but had lots of gas smell to them? Never change the crank sensor (that's only if you have start issues not running) The problem starts right away. Engine shakes. If I rev the engine high (3-4 1000rpm) it will pulse up and down. When driving it runs fine...

Old 09-22-2014, 09:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Erm, the crank sensor is a critical component, and is used by the PCM to determine ignition timing. The sensor in the distributor is for cam position, and is used to determine which injector to fire........ A failing crank sensor would give you the symptoms you are seeing. Especially the erratic running at high RPM.

Is the check engine lite flashing when it does that? Is it on at all?

Old 09-22-2014, 09:30 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Fixed the plenum?
Ding!

Meh, maybe the distributor is worn out? See if that little metal half-moon pickup is loose on the shaft. The one under the pickup plate

Old 09-27-2014, 07:37 AM
wlatour
Amateur

Erm, the crank sensor is a critical component, and is used by the PCM to determine ignition timing. The sensor in the distributor is for cam position, and is used to determine which injector to fire........ A failing crank sensor would give you the symptoms you are seeing. Especially the erratic running at high RPM.

Is the check engine lite flashing when it does that? Is it on at all?

Well Changed out the Crank Sensor (1 Hour) and still no difference on engine running and skipping. My check engine light does work. Last week I had a vacuum leak and I had to replace the Filler pipe at rear. My next guess is the ECM Module? I have changed just about everything. Thanks for all the tips....

Old 09-27-2014, 07:41 AM
wlatour
Amateur

Just found a New ECM Module for $250.00 http://www.solopcms.com/2001-dodge-p...-gas-only.html I'm going to order this today. My question on this part? Does it need to be programed by Dodge? Thanks

Old 09-27-2014, 08:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Needs to be programmed for your vin. The selling company 'might' do that before shipping, but, don't hold your breath. Any shop with a good scanner should be able to do it for ya. (for a fee, of course.....)

But, simply throwing parts at it until you find a 'fix' can get REAL expensive. Also, brand of parts DOES make a difference here. Fair percentage of folks have had poor results from cheap, aftermarket parts, in critical areas. (and the crank sensor is most certainly one of those.)

Also, if you haven't fixed the plenum yet, there is a very good chance that NOTHING you do will make the least bit of difference. Need to solve known problems before you go exploring for other possibilities.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:00 AM
wlatour
Amateur

Needs to be programmed for your vin. The selling company 'might' do that before shipping, but, don't hold your breath. Any shop with a good scanner should be able to do it for ya. (for a fee, of course.....)

But, simply throwing parts at it until you find a 'fix' can get REAL expensive. Also, brand of parts DOES make a difference here. Fair percentage of folks have had poor results from cheap, aftermarket parts, in critical areas. (and the crank sensor is most certainly one of those.)

Also, if you haven't fixed the plenum yet, there is a very good chance that NOTHING you do will make the least bit of difference. Need to solve known problems before you go exploring for other possibilities.

So Far I have replaced all parts with Mopar Parts from dodge. Fixing the Plenum is on my list of do's... Bigger Issues? I just went for a road test last night and now I have an issue with Reverse again. Very skipping trying to back up? It was fine after adjustments. I'm now at the point to maybe retire the truck..(Money Pit)...Thanks

Quick Reply: Engine Ruff Idle Wont Go Away