2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil in cooliant but no cooliant in oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:02 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in cooliant but no cooliant in oil?

99 24 valve
Ok so far this has me stumped.I went to a Chrysler dealership to pick up a bike I was building so while backing up stoping moving repeat in this small area my rig overheated.Nasty brown cooliant the p.o. must have let it sit for a long time.I paid my x helper to flush it & I thought he did I was wrong.
******* Well topd it off with water drove around 80 miles pulled into mc Donalds while in drive through it overheated.I figured from running on low cooliant.Topd off &figured Id do all new filters &fluid next weekend.Well a few days ago I did a powerbrake for about 30 secs & she got hot.Then a day or 2 later while driving it felt like it was periodically surging or stumbling.I checked the inline fuel filter that runs off of the faes hpfp I don't think it had ever been changed. It had little rocks in it& everything else.Ran better afterwards. Well then tonite I made about a 100 mile run & for the last 25 miles I ran full throttle (had a good reason).Well pulled into store left her running went in bought a sodapop when I came out I noticed it had puked everywhere. Took home let it cool
And* checked the cooliant & I noticed that there was a slight rainbow film on top of my cooliant.
*********** So.I check the oil in every way no milkshake no cooliant in oil.So I didnt have access to a hose but I pulled bottom hose&poured about 20 gallons through.Now I know that's not really cleaning it out but till tomorrow or tues is has to do.Now when I pulled the bottom hose I caught this junk in the picture it is I belive oil as it rose to the top & I skimmed it off for the pix.
****** I Put it back back together started it up didn't notice any bubbling &if I remember if its a blown head gasket cracked block it should bubble.Well put cap back on let it run for a few mins pulled it off &cooliant shoot out but wasn't really hot let it idle to operating temp took it for a ride under 2 mins heat rose fast.Turned heat on&within halfPl min it was back where it should be.drove 20 miles no overheating pulled the cap off a few times no rainbow film no signs of oil.
******* Here's a few things I found the thermostat housing is putting off some heat, no change in ac@all, if I squeeze the upper rad hose with the cap off cooliant will come out .Im not sure if that means thermostat isnt opening?
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.This truck did habe oil allover the front of the motor the po kids rolled it down a hill into some trees the whole front end eas tottaled & pushed in till I rebuilt it.Like I said I see no build up now so hoping it was just needing cleaned.
Name:  20150518_001510.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  65.2 KB
Name:  20150518_010305.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  72.9 KB
Name:  20150518_010210.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  103.6 KB

Old 05-18-2015, 08:26 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Just went & checked & after sitting for a few hour's it has that film ontop when u take the cap off
Btw its a 53 block but I see no leaks

Last edited by cutthroatxxx; 05-18-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:17 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

Was there any antifreeze in it? looks like rusty water only. Definitely needs a flush or two. Does it overheat when moving(45mph +)?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

I don't think its actually oil, I think its just sludge from a woefully neglected cooling system. A flush with chemicals is certainly in order.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:36 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

See it the film.sits@the very top when I skim it I get the sludge.And like I said it's overheated a few times.Should i go to carwash&flush like that

Old 05-18-2015, 09:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Most of the 'flush kits' these days are just descalers..... not like the good ol' days, when you could get some muriatic acid, to REALLY clean things out.... (kinda plays hell on aluminum radiators though.....) Think I would try the 'garden hose flush' first, (no thermostat....) until it ran nice and clean, then go with the descaler for a day or two, (with thermostat installed) do the garden hose flush again, and see how things look.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:59 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

After it sat for a few hours I skimmed the bucket that's what's on what Im holding but its not greasy, then the bucket that's all dirt

Name:  20150518_085026.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  686.8 KB

Old 05-18-2015, 10:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wonder if someone accidentally mixed coolant types in there......

There are vanishingly few places where high-pressure oil is anywhere near coolant...... it it actually were oil in the coolant, then it would be a pretty good bet the motor is toast.

Do the flush, see what happens.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:24 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Theres been 2 diffrent types of coolants added but the weird overheating is still there

Old 05-18-2015, 10:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Judging by the sludge you are getting out of it, not really a surprise.

On my tractor....... (yeah, yeah... I know. Apples vs. hand grenades) I had real issues with it getting hot, and shutting down if the ambient temp was over 80..... and even then, it would run at around 195 in the best of circumstances..... (180 degree thermostat) Well, beginning of the mowing season this year, rolled the tractor into the garage to hook up the rebuilt deck I had for it, and the radiator was pissing coolant. Yanked it, took it to the radiator shop, and had it re-cored..... (as it was in too bad of shape to simply repair.) Put it back in, did NOTHING else to the tractor, gave it fresh coolant, and the temp now NEVER goes over 180. Doesn't matter what ambient temp is, the motor simply does not get hot now. I was quite surprised......

The point here is, I bet your radiator is bordering on 'totally plugged up'.... and that will give you some strange heat issues. If there is a lot of crap in it, may not be a bad idea to flush the block and lines, and replace the radiator......

Quick Reply: oil in cooliant but no cooliant in oil?