2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 dodge ram. 360 rough idle. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:52 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwally1996
Now I heard the mmo in your old oil (oil currently in engine) worked pretty well just run it for a little bit before you change your oil, it won't squeaky clean everything but it will get your lifters cleaned out and all that fun stuff withough worrying about blowing up.
I reserve the diesel/ATF treatment for engines that have either been unused for so long that they sound like a stampede of shod horses running on cobblestones when you start them, or have been subjected to the "perpetual oil change" treatment for so long that if the treatment doesn't work it's hot tank time.

Once upon a time a guy wanting a decent but insanely cheap to buy and economically operated used car could scrounge around a bit to find an overheating Dodge or Plymouth sporting the slant six. They'd develop oil leaks (for which they were infamous), ignorant owners would put them on the perpetual oil change plan, and when eventually the sludge got so thick that they'd overheat no matter how much money was thrown at the cooling system you could buy them for almost nothing. The telltale was a severely grimy engine behind a brand new radiator cap. Once the thing was bought, it was usually just twenty or thirty bucks and an afternoon of easy work to get motoring happy.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,371 Likes on 3,112 Posts

I have had occasions when doing the various odd things in the crankcase would clean the engine out real nice, but, leave me with a rod knock too........ So, I stopped doing it. Just run a high detergent oil for a couple oil changes.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:18 PM
Bwally1996
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my o2 sensor today, not going to be able to install it due to rain and it only being like 35 degrees outside

I got the ngk 23506. Any tips or trucks I need to know? First time doing a o2 sensor

Old 01-21-2016, 06:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, it hangs out under the truck, in the exhaust.... so, it becomes quite cozy with where it is installed, and VERY reluctant to give up its perch.... I used a big pipe wrench, and a hammer to get the old one out. Putting the new one in is cake.

Also, have REALLY long arms for the connector, it's up on top of the friggin' trans. You can't see it, but, if you follow the wires up, you can touch it. Maybe....

Old 01-21-2016, 06:26 PM
Bwally1996
Professional

Any specific tools I need to buy? I have a super cheap socket set so far

Should I run the truck before I try to remove the old one? Would pb blaster help?

Old 01-21-2016, 06:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Nah, just use a generic pipe wrench to remove, and the appropriate size wrench to install. (or, worst case, use the pipe wrench to put in the new one, if you don't have a wrench that size.... there is a specific "O2 sensor socket", that has a cutout for the wire, but, I have broken more of those than I can count, and I have yet to break my pipe wrench......)

having the exhaust hot might make it easier..... but, will likely leave you with souvenirs too..... (as in: Burn Scars.) PB Blaster is definitely your friend.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:35 PM
Bwally1996
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Nah, just use a generic pipe wrench to remove, and the appropriate size wrench to install. (or, worst case, use the pipe wrench to put in the new one, if you don't have a wrench that size.... there is a specific "O2 sensor socket", that has a cutout for the wire, but, I have broken more of those than I can count, and I have yet to break my pipe wrench......)

having the exhaust hot might make it easier..... but, will likely leave you with souvenirs too..... (as in: Burn Scars.) PB Blaster is definitely your friend.

I'd like to get a before and after video to see if it changes anything right away, so I may just let it heat every thing up good, I wear thicker mechanic gloves when its cold out because busting a knuckle when its freezing out hurts worse lmao. I don't even have a pipe wrench so I guess I'll pick one up or something along with pb blaster

Old 01-21-2016, 06:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Leave the battery disconnected while you are changing the sensor. That will reset the PCM, and let it re-learn how to run the engine.... (and getting accurate data..... how novel. )

Old 01-21-2016, 06:41 PM
Bwally1996
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Leave the battery disconnected while you are changing the sensor. That will reset the PCM, and let it re-learn how to run the engine.... (and getting accurate data..... how novel. )
Do you think it'll act any different right away? I think I have a YouTube video that shows how it sounds, it don't sound good, it has a blappy kinda Chevy sound to it right now lol

A little worried to leave it running for too long till I get my fuel drip found and fixed

Old 01-21-2016, 07:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Fix the fuel leak before you do the O2 sensor. Fuel leaks can be rather hazardous to your health.

Quick Reply: 1998 dodge ram. 360 rough idle. Need help