2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What will gear lube in Transfer Case do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 11:33 PM
Uniform
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What will gear lube in Transfer Case do?

So I had the infamous metallic grinding when 4-wheel is engaged. It gets louder when you accelerate. I had checked my hubs, my forward U-Joints and Pinion bearing. I found out my front output shaft bearing was shot. The shaft would also slide forward and backward towards the bumpers about an inch. I had almost 2 inches of slop when rotating my front drive line with a loud bang once it engaged. I recognized it was my chain. I believe the output shaft issue is related to the Chain. I have all my parts, seals and waiting on the chain. It is torn apart and only found metal flaking from the chain. No chunks, good sign. The rear output shaft is nice, smooth, tight and right.

Now to my question. When I drained my fluid, it was foamy greenish-brown. My son came over and made the comment that it looks like ?90 weight? Gear lube. I think he is right. If this assumption is correct, what would gear lube do to a transfer case?

I don't think the previous owner used 4-wheel because the vacuum lines were disconnected. I have not used it because of the metallic grinding.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:22 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Too thick= pump can't move it= bearing grenades.

That's why ATF is used as it's very thin and lubricates well (low viscosity).

Old 09-05-2016, 03:55 AM
Uniform

Thank-you Ramman18! I never understood the difference between oil and ATF. I knew enough not to use one in place of the other. I have Had the truck only 9 months.

The condition of my front output shaft bearing is gone. It rolls smoothly; there is a specific spot though that about every two to four rotations it definitely grabs. The front shafts pilot bearing rolls smooth, but the pins slide back and fourth in the race. That one is gone too.

My rear output shaft rolls smooth, the ***** are on the loose end of snug within the race's. These probably have a couple thousand miles I'm guesstimating...

Is there a way to determine the input shaft bearings condition without separating it from the transmission? Or do you think it might be safe in the blast radius of the bearing grenade?

Finally, can the Oil be detrimental to the seals and nylon pieces in the main shaft assembly?

Old 09-05-2016, 08:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

If you have the t-case apart already, just replace ALL the bearings.... and seals. You can get a kit that comes with everything you need.

Also, do a google search on "Transfer Case Saver". It replaces the snap-ring on the rear output shaft that likes to fall out, and munch up a bunch of parts on the rear output shaft.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:54 PM
Uniform

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you have the t-case apart already, just replace ALL the bearings.... and seals. You can get a kit that comes with everything you need.

Also, do a google search on "Transfer Case Saver". It replaces the snap-ring on the rear output shaft that likes to fall out, and munch up a bunch of parts on the rear output shaft.
I don't know if I will have that much money after replacing the chain. I was only expecting to replace a few bearings. I don't know what condition the input shaft bearings are in, and don't know if I can tell without separating the case from the transmission.

The tail bearing is easily replaced, and don't mind tearing it apart again once I have the $30.00 to spare in a few months. Thanks for the heads up about the T-Case saver. I will install one when I open it back up to replace the bearings. For now, I will just purchase a new snap ring.

I don't know if the gear oil would have damaged all the rubber seals and the nylon paces in the shaft assembly and is a concern of mine.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Gear oil would just be hard to pump, it won't harm seals, or anything of that nature.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:27 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About how much atf does the TC hold?

Old 09-06-2016, 11:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

2 and some change quarts I think.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:40 AM
Uniform

Originally Posted by dbbd1
About how much atf does the TC hold?
When I went to O'riellys Auto, they told me it was ATF+4 and the volume was 1 quart+change. If your transfer case had a Power Take Off, it would be 2 quart+change. I double checked my Haynes manual and it depends on your T-Case. NV231 HD= 1.25Qt. NV241= 2.5qt NV241 HD= 3.25qt NV241 HD w/PTO= 4.5qt. I am a competent mechanic, I just never owned or worked on a pick up with 4-wheel drive, so I am in somewhat new territory.

HeyYou thank you. That really eases my mind. I was really concerned about my shaft assembly. From what I could tell, (Not removed) It felt smooth, right and tight. So keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:05 PM
Uniform

Well that sucks, went to install my Truckraft chain, and it was about half an inch too narrow. I am hoping Six States Distributing does not give me grief about exchanging it...

Quick Reply: What will gear lube in Transfer Case do?