2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end knock

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 10:42 PM
atc250r
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front end knock

Other than a Borgeson steering box, the front end of my truck is stock. When I brake and turn left in residential neighbourhoods, I can hear a loud front end knock and feel it in the steering wheel. It's not the usual universal joint "clicking" when they fail. It's more of a pronounced "knock", usually just once. Like something is binding. It's also not the hub/bearings. I can also sometimes hear it just accelerating or braking in a straight line too (from or to a dead stop) but braking and turning left always makes it happen. Any ideas?

Old 06-13-2017, 08:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

control arm bushings? Or sway bar end links?

Old 06-13-2017, 09:41 PM
atc250r
Veteran

Looks like it's the Luke's Link end of my track bar. When my gf was turning the wheel left to right, I can see the track bar move up and down about 1/4" and the clunk is tied to the movement. Guess I'll add some shims

Old 06-13-2017, 10:48 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

If you are planning to keep the truck awhile, here is a complete 3rd gen track bar conversion kit, which includes the bracket, an adjustable track bar and all of the needed hardware.

https://www.hellbentsteel.com/shop/p...bar-1994-2002/

Old 06-14-2017, 08:01 AM
atc250r
Veteran

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
If you are planning to keep the truck awhile, here is a complete 3rd gen track bar conversion kit, which includes the bracket, an adjustable track bar and all of the needed hardware.

https://www.hellbentsteel.com/shop/p...bar-1994-2002/
Is the Luke's Link not highly recommended anymore?

Old 06-14-2017, 08:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by atc250r
There are better alternatives. The third gen trackbar conversion eliminates that joint entirely. Bushings on both ends. Lasts a LOT longer.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:36 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Luke's link should work fine if you are sure the track bar has never been replaced with an aftermarket unit.

I mention the other option, as it provides an adjustable track bar with poly bushings in each end along with a conversion bracket for the former ball joint end of the bar. The adjustable bar allows for fine tuning the centering of the front axle in the truck. I use a similar setup and have been highly pleased with it. It does cost a bit more, but if you are planning to keep your truck awhile, the added peace of mind for no more track bar issues is priceless.

Last edited by AtomicDog; 06-14-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:15 PM
atc250r
Veteran

I already have the Luke's Link end on my OEM track bar. I've had it since around 2006. I guess I might as well just add shims rather than spend $350 on the 3rd gen bar?

Old 06-14-2017, 07:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I already have the Luke's Link end on my OEM track bar. I've had it since around 2006. I guess I might as well just add shims rather than spend $350 on the 3rd gen bar?
If that's the way the lukes link is designed to work, then sure. if it is a bandaid fix, then you will likely end up repeating the process again, and again. Still, you likely won't hit that magic number making the third gen style conversion financially sound..... You already HAVE the lukes link...... So, some shims are what? A couple bucks at most? Yeah, you could do that a lot, and never even come close to the cost of the conversion..... but, the conversion has the advantage of, install it once, and you will likely never need to touch it again.

Up to you really. If you have the cash, the conversion is indeed an upgrade.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:43 PM
atc250r
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If that's the way the lukes link is designed to work, then sure. if it is a bandaid fix, then you will likely end up repeating the process again, and again. Still, you likely won't hit that magic number making the third gen style conversion financially sound..... You already HAVE the lukes link...... So, some shims are what? A couple bucks at most? Yeah, you could do that a lot, and never even come close to the cost of the conversion..... but, the conversion has the advantage of, install it once, and you will likely never need to touch it again.

Up to you really. If you have the cash, the conversion is indeed an upgrade.
The Luke's Link actually came with shims for future adjustments, and I actually found them in their original box! It looks quick and simple to add a few shims, so I'll give that a try in a couple days.