2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:17 AM
vegetta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help

Hello everyone ,

I am in need of some advice along with some help.
To make a long story short I purchased my first truck 98 dodge ram 1500 a few weeks ago and was unaware that it had transmission issues. I was able to track down the 2nd owner and they told me they put a bottle of Lucas transmission fluid in and did not help so they felt like the transmission needed to be replaced so it was sold to someone else who sold it to me. The truck goes in reverse and drive smoothly it also shift gears smoothly, the issue that I am having is that a majority of the time when I am on the highway once I reach around 40 mph the truck won't go any faster but the rpm will rise to the redline without shifting so I am forced to drive it 40 and under. I did a little bit of research and came across a fix that required two sensors along with the transmission filter. does this sound like this would fix my issue or is it something else? I will be so grateful for any advice and help before I go ordering parts

Old 08-04-2017, 09:57 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're driving down the road at 40, then shift it into neutral and then back into drive, will that allow you to go faster than 40? I had a 97 Ram that the transmission was having issues and the only way for me to get to 4th gear from 3rd was to put it into neutral then back into drive.

There is an electronic plug on the driver side of the transmission, has 6 or 8 wires on it. You could unplug that and then go for a drive. You'll lose any automatic shifting if you do that and will have to shift manually with the column shifter.

If either of these allow you to go to 4th, then you may just need to replace your governor pressure solenoid and the electronics in the transmission.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,206 Likes on 2,958 Posts

You can test that theory rather easily.

On the drivers side of the trans, about halfway back, there is an 8 pin connector that plugs straight down into the top of the valve body. Unplug it. Go for a drive. Keep in mind that your trans won't have ANY automatic function. Nor will you have TCC, or O/D. So, start out in first, and shift when appropriate. (you will have to downshift manually as well.)

If the trans goes into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, and doesn't exhibit any other undesirable behavior, then, changing the governor stuff will actually make a difference. If the trans is still wonky, then, its rebuild time.

Welcome to DF!

Old 08-04-2017, 10:24 AM
vegetta

thanks for the quick reply as for tha
method is there anyway i can damage the truck by shifting with the coloum shifter

Old 08-04-2017, 10:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Only if you go to far, and go from drive to reverse at any kind of speed. So, BE CAREFUL.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:03 AM
vegetta

so I should go to a empty space and drive straight start in 2nd then third then drive ? it doesnt make any noises and once and a while it will shift and run so smooth it just seems to have an issue geting into a higher gear if I drive it around the city it drives like a dream. my follow up question is if its not what I think it is which is http://www.ebay.com/itm/A500-44RE-Tr...xYEqH~&vxp=mtr the two senser and the fliter and gasket. Also out of the two which one would be a better fit for my truck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A500-44RE-Tr...xYEqH~&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solenoid-Ser...9U7i9Q&vxp=mtr

i thank everyone in advanced for your help. I just want a working truck I already feel a certian way becasue I overpaid for a car that was orginaly going to the junkyard so everyone help is truley welcome

Old 08-04-2017, 01:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Start in First, then second, then third. (you only get three, overdrive when it is working properly, and TCC lockup.) Someplace with very little traffic would be good, so you don't have as much to worry about while driving.

This one.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:52 PM
vegetta

what is the difference between the cork and the rubber gasket which one should i get and do I need the spring dont I just need the senser and the filter and gasket

Old 08-04-2017, 07:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Rubber gasket is re-useable.

Spring goes in one of the accumulator pistons, as they are notorious for breaking.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:35 PM
vegetta

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Rubber gasket is re-useable.

Spring goes in one of the accumulator pistons, as they are notorious for breaking.
Thanks so should I look for one with a rubber or get the one you showed me