2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 08:14 PM
Rammit82
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control

Does a manual trans dodge ram (2001) come with cruise control wiring in it or do I need to get an aftermarket kit?

Old 02-08-2018, 08:49 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

it should probably come wired for cruise control even if it don't have it. you can try looking under your battery to double check. should be a 4 wire connector somewhere under there for the cruise control servo. the only thing that sucks about adding cruise to a vehicle without it is getting all the silly parts needed to add cruise. i don't know if it would be the same on a 2001 but on the bit older vehicles there was even a different brake switch for the vehicles with cruise control. there is also usually a different clock spring for trucks with cruise and those are not cheap if you have to go new. you almost need a parts vehicle with a complete cruise control setup to grab all the parts needed.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Rammit82
Amateur

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
it should probably come wired for cruise control even if it don't have it. you can try looking under your battery to double check. should be a 4 wire connector somewhere under there for the cruise control servo. the only thing that sucks about adding cruise to a vehicle without it is getting all the silly parts needed to add cruise. i don't know if it would be the same on a 2001 but on the bit older vehicles there was even a different brake switch for the vehicles with cruise control. there is also usually a different clock spring for trucks with cruise and those are not cheap if you have to go new. you almost need a parts vehicle with a complete cruise control setup to grab all the parts needed.

have u heard of the rostra brand aftermarket kit?

Old 02-08-2018, 09:33 PM
Rammit82
Amateur

Originally Posted by Rammit82
have u heard of the rostra brand aftermarket kit?

if I decided to put the factory setup or check it to make sure it' all there is there a video that shows all the parts to verify or a list. If I have to get the aftermarket kit I will but I'd rather get the stuff to make it look factory. Thanks

Old 02-09-2018, 07:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Factory, I think all you need (assuming the harness is there), is the steering wheel with the switches, the correct clock spring, the servo that hides under the batter, the vacuum line for it, and the cable to the throttle. Don't know if the throttle body will have the correct arm on it for cruise either... you would have to look at that. Once its all in place....... question becomes, do you need different programming in the PCM for it to work? That, I don't know. Might need the bulb in the cluster as well.....

Old 02-09-2018, 12:41 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the programmings shouldn't need to be changed to run cruise. it is not like there is any difference between between cruise control computers and non cruise control computers. you just have to put the switches in and the switches tell the computer what you want it to do and then the servo does what the computer tells it to do. the throttle body should have all the correct arms on it. i ended up installing cruise on my 93 without too much hassle using parts i got for free or dirt cheap. i even used a cruise control cable off another mopar that was not the right length but did the job with a bit of modification. cruise control worked perfect with it. i don't know if it would be the same on a 2001 but on the older ones you can even get away with using momentary on and off switches to control the cruise along with a one and off switch for the main power since the clock springs on the bit older trucks are nearly impossible to find or pretty expensive for what they are.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Rammit82
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Factory, I think all you need (assuming the harness is there), is the steering wheel with the switches, the correct clock spring, the servo that hides under the batter, the vacuum line for it, and the cable to the throttle. Don't know if the throttle body will have the correct arm on it for cruise either... you would have to look at that. Once its all in place....... question becomes, do you need different programming in the PCM for it to work? That, I don't know. Might need the bulb in the cluster as well.....

where would I find the info for the pc and the bulb in the cluster? Not sure what u mean in the second part tho. And thanks.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think our resident crazy is correct. Just need all the right parts installed, (I missed the brake switch in my list, and spelled 'battery' wrong.....) and it should just work.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:01 PM
Rammit82
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think our resident crazy is correct. Just need all the right parts installed, (I missed the brake switch in my list, and spelled 'battery' wrong.....) and it should just work.

guess I'll have to keep looking for videos to find out about the switches for the pc, the clock spring location and the brake switch. Everything else should be farley easy to take off a junk yard truck. Any ideas?

Old 02-09-2018, 06:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Switches are on the steering wheel. Don't think you can add them, have to find a steering wheel that has 'em. Clock spring is shortly behind the steering wheel. it's what allows the electrical controls in the steering wheel, (horn, cruise control....) to get their signals down to the part of the column that doesn't move. Brake switch is down on the bracket for the brake pedal.

Quick Reply: Cruise control