2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 04:38 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
are you sure your talking about a gas truck? you really don't even need the vacuum reservoir for cruise to work. it is just there to make the cruise to work smoothly when the engine may not be creating quite as much vacuum. also vacuum is measured in in-hg not psi. shouldn't need a vacuum pump on a gas truck tho. they are only needed for stuff with turbo that create boost and have no vacuum under boost.
Yeah I'm positive I'm talking about a gas truck, unless I've been putting the wrong fuel for about 2 years these trucks don't make enough vacuum (the motor rather) because everything runs on vacuum. You don't need it for cruise no but when you start to go up an incline, you'll see that your truck slows down like you are pressing the brake. Just Google your year truck and either "wild vents" or "cruise loosing speed" and you will see. HeyYou will eventually chime in and tell you the same thing. There was even a TSB about it, not to mention numerous people complaining. Now as I said not every Ram needed these but 98% did. If yours operates normally when installed you are fine. But if it doesn't you have the above options.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:56 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

but the wild vents issue is generally solved with a simple check valve. i live near a pretty steep hill and never had an issue using cruise on it. i even have a vacuum gauge in my 1 vehicle and it is rare that i ever see it at 0 in-hg unless the pedal is on the floor and even then it don't stay a 0 very long. it starts building vacuum again quick. you only need about 10in-hg to run the cruise so if all the proper parts are installed and there are no leaks the cruise should work properly under all conditions

Old 02-10-2018, 06:02 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
but the wild vents issue is generally solved with a simple check valve. i live near a pretty steep hill and never had an issue using cruise on it. i even have a vacuum gauge in my 1 vehicle and it is rare that i ever see it at 0 in-hg unless the pedal is on the floor and even then it don't stay a 0 very long. it starts building vacuum again quick. you only need about 10in-hg to run the cruise so if all the proper parts are installed and there are no leaks the cruise should work properly under all conditions
I'm just warning him I know 10 people in this forum (one is me) that couldn't resolve the wild vents or cruise loosing speed. As I told him I replaced every vacuum line, every check valve (twice) upgraded the reservoir and still have that issue until I put in a vacuum pump. Then later I went to an electric servo

Old 02-10-2018, 08:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Electronic cruise? What unit did you use?

Old 02-10-2018, 01:36 PM
Rammit82
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I'm just warning him I know 10 people in this forum (one is me) that couldn't resolve the wild vents or cruise loosing speed. As I told him I replaced every vacuum line, every check valve (twice) upgraded the reservoir and still have that issue until I put in a vacuum pump. Then later I went to an electric servo

I'll put in the basic stuff first once the weather gets better. I don' have a shop. Then if I notice those issues I'll check the upgrades out. But I think before I worry about the Vaccum line side of that I need to find the check valve that comes off the ijntake that services the Vaccum lines for the blend doors. I think the main door that allows air to bbq low in isn' getting any pressure cause air blows thru the vents when I drive evennif the control panel is off and when i accelerate past a certain point it starts blowing out of the defrost vents instead.. Then again I'm sure it would also help if I would get the intake manifold gasket replaced too so I can get a good seal on the Vaccum system too. I think....lol

Old 02-10-2018, 01:42 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Electronic cruise? What unit did you use?
Off of a ram, I think 2006, if memory serves me right

Old 02-10-2018, 01:44 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Rammit82
I'll put in the basic stuff first once the weather gets better. I don' have a shop. Then if I notice those issues I'll check the upgrades out. But I think before I worry about the Vaccum line side of that I need to find the check valve that comes off the ijntake that services the Vaccum lines for the blend doors. I think the main door that allows air to bbq low in isn' getting any pressure cause air blows thru the vents when I drive evennif the control panel is off and when i accelerate past a certain point it starts blowing out of the defrost vents instead.. Then again I'm sure it would also help if I would get the intake manifold gasket replaced too so I can get a good seal on the Vaccum system too. I think....lol
That is the wild vents issue. There was a TSB about adding a check valve

Old 02-10-2018, 01:47 PM
Rammit82
Amateur

That is the wild vents issue. There was a TSB about adding a check valve

tsb? What is that

Old 02-10-2018, 01:56 PM
Rammit82
Amateur

Hey moparfanatic21....don't or didn't u have a light bar on your truck before. I recognize ur truck in some YouTube videos

Old 02-10-2018, 02:53 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

​​​​​​I'm another one that had vacuum issues. I finally eliminated the cruise circuit and the EVAP system to fix my wild vents. More than quarter throttle cruising on flat ground would cause wild vents and loss of cruise control.
Now with my new motor I think it would all work fine, but I don't feel like installing all the cruise stuff again (not to mention having the wrong steering wheel )

Quick Reply: Cruise control