2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 Ram 1500 2WD front end vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Cody Martin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Ram 1500 2WD front end vibration

I have a 2001 ram 1500 2WD that has a vibration/growl from the front right passenger side on center or turned to the left at all. When I turn right even a small amount it goes away completely. I thought it could be the tire, brakes or the wheel bearing. All replaced and no change. For the tire I rotated it and the problem didnt follow the wheel. Now based on the symptoms I am thinking my tie rod end is bad. But it could be a upper or lower ball joint. I’m really bad at the mechanical aspects. Any opinions on what is best to try next would be great.

The vibration doesn’t get worse when I turn left of center. However any amount turned to the right I goes away 100%.

Thanks,
Cody

Old 05-28-2018, 03:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Turn the wheels a bit while it's standing still, then check and see if anything is rubbing.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:34 PM
Cody Martin

Thanks for the reply as always HeyYou. I checked that first. Nothing rubbing the tire. The heat shield behind the hub assembly is a rusted piece of shrapnel. I will replace that soon but as it moves with the assembly I don’t think that solves anything.

I am in process of replacing inner and outer tie rods and adjustment sleeve on passenger side.

Side question: any chance an adjustment sleeve is rever thread. I put a 6 point 15mm on there and a cheater bar and rounded the nut it’s so bound up or reverse thread.

Once i I finish this I don’t know what to do next. The upper and lower ball joints do look pretty bad. However with my symptoms I can’t understand how I’ve replaced all the moving parts and no fix. Maybe I’ll replace the rotor soon. Any guesses welcome. Thanks. I’ll try and post some pics soon.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:34 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Cody Martin
Thanks for the reply as always HeyYou. I checked that first. Nothing rubbing the tire. The heat shield behind the hub assembly is a rusted piece of shrapnel. I will replace that soon but as it moves with the assembly I don’t think that solves anything.

I am in process of replacing inner and outer tie rods and adjustment sleeve on passenger side.

Side question: any chance an adjustment sleeve is rever thread. I put a 6 point 15mm on there and a cheater bar and rounded the nut it’s so bound up or reverse thread.

Once i I finish this I don’t know what to do next. The upper and lower ball joints do look pretty bad. However with my symptoms I can’t understand how I’ve replaced all the moving parts and no fix. Maybe I’ll replace the rotor soon. Any guesses welcome. Thanks. I’ll try and post some pics soon.
The sleeve nuts are not reverse thread. The heat shield (which is actually a dust shield) can't be replaced unless you get one from a junkyard.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:40 AM
Cody Martin

Is it ok that it’s gone or is it needed? My truck is not driven much. About 2k/year or so.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

I never really worried about them after they rusted away to nothing.

Steering linkage hangs out on the bottom of the truck, so, it gets to experience all the nasty stuff you drive thru. That leads to serious corrosion of the various parts. To get 'em loose, chemicals, or heat, or going to be your best friends.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:55 PM
Cody Martin

Update: I replaced the fall inner and outer tie rod on the passenger side including adjustment sleeve. After doing so I was obviously out of alignment but the original noise was gone replaced by a clicking as I drove. I attempted to to align my tire rod better and drivability improved but the clicking remained. I took my vehicle in this morning and got two brand new tires on the front as well as an alignment and after doing that the original noise is now back. A grinding sound anything over 5 miles an hour from the right front that goes away completely with any amount of right turn.

I am really at a loss at this point as I have replaced the brake pads the hub assembly the tire and the tire rods. I also removed the rusted out dust shield the best I could. The only thing I can think of left is replacing the rotor since it’s the only component that could have been affected by removing the tire and putting it back on. Any other guesses on components are welcome. The only other thing I can think of past that is upper and lower ball joint’s

Old 09-08-2018, 11:04 PM
jarrod huie

Originally Posted by Cody Martin
Update: I replaced the fall inner and outer tie rod on the passenger side including adjustment sleeve. After doing so I was obviously out of alignment but the original noise was gone replaced by a clicking as I drove. I attempted to to align my tire rod better and drivability improved but the clicking remained. I took my vehicle in this morning and got two brand new tires on the front as well as an alignment and after doing that the original noise is now back. A grinding sound anything over 5 miles an hour from the right front that goes away completely with any amount of right turn.

I am really at a loss at this point as I have replaced the brake pads the hub assembly the tire and the tire rods. I also removed the rusted out dust shield the best I could. The only thing I can think of left is replacing the rotor since it’s the only component that could have been affected by removing the tire and putting it back on. Any other guesses on components are welcome. The only other thing I can think of past that is upper and lower ball joint’s

I have the same exact problem, would really like some feedback

Old 09-08-2018, 11:07 PM
Cody Martin

Originally Posted by jarrod huie
I have the same exact problem, would really like some feedback
my issue ended up being wheel bearing assembly on the opposite side I expected. The behavior made me go after passenger side as that’s where it felt like it was coming from but it was radiating from front driver.

Quick Reply: 01 Ram 1500 2WD front end vibration