2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge ram 2500 Magnum v8 exhaust, performance, and care

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:42 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge ram 2500 Magnum v8 exhaust, performance, and care

I've read that the stock exhaust has a lot of restriction to the engines full performance including air flow. I wanted to see what a good recommendation for a y-pipe would be as I've heard that's where the most restriction is, would that change and a throttle body spacer be really good for fuel efficency and provide for better performance a new throttle body isn't an option as I really don't want to dump an outstanding amount of money into an older truck. So far I've changed the muffler and put an exhaust tip on and it has made an awesome change including the air intake. When I first got the truck there were no pipes underneath so I got the stock put on so sadly at this point an aftermarket exhaust isn't an option. I've been taking great care of the truck the past 2 years I've had it, got the transmission serviced along with all filters changed last month (same as last year) early oil changes along with tune ups. Now u joints are next for the winter. I wanted to ask also what is the maximum mileage the stock Alternator will last? I'm at 165,000. My headlights seem to flicker quite a bit as the truck is shifting and I can't exactly tell if it's the alternator pulley but one of the pulleys does squeal as I get to higher rpms, when the truck first starts up, and if I touch the throttle before the temperature raises. Idler pulley and tensioner have been changed along with the serpentine to a goodyear belt, this is what I drive in the winter for the most part so I want to make sure I have no issues with reliability and power. My car gets taken off the insurance

Last edited by Bailey Miller; 10-03-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:31 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Lots to unpack here.

First time in 17 years I've ever heard that the Y pipe is restrictive. The stock cat and muffler are what restrict the exhaust. Get a highflow Magnaflow or similar cat with a good muffler and you're golden. Some like headers but I've never tried. I'm on my 2nd magnaflow and just a glasspack which helped more than the Flowmaster that was on for ten years.

Throttle body spacers are junk. If you're gonna throw money away, throw it to my off shore account please.

Only use Spicer ujoints.

Alternators can last forever or 10 miles. I'm still on the stocker at 243k and daily driving.

Lights flickering could be a ground or issue in the fuse box, etc, etc.

Belts squeal for any reason. Take off the belt and spin all the pulleys to find which is noisy or gritty.

Never heard good things about gatorback goodyears. I use Gates for my rubber.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:51 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

Also is this a heavy duty model or CA? If so you should have had duel cats. Putting on one cat will not work as the pcm wont see what the other side is doing.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:00 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

I have shorty headers and a throttle body spacer (came with the truck) and I replaced the whole exhaust "x" pipe instead of a Y high flow cat and no muffler and it woke it up a lot. TB spacer people say are junk but I don't know tbh. I have 3in true dual exhaust fyi

Old 10-04-2018, 02:39 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional

Thank you, I really appreciate the information.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional

I'm pretty sure it is suppose to have 2 catalytic converters but when I had first got the truck it didn't have one at all. I had the stock exhaust put on but there's only one cat from what I can see, the guy that did the exhaust wasn't exactly a professional

Old 10-04-2018, 03:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Throttle body spacer does nothing on a port fuel injected motor. Some folks have even noted a power LOSS with one installed. (dyno tested)

Old 10-04-2018, 04:02 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional

Yeah that's what I've read about the throttle body spacer. Just wasn't sure what kind of effect it would have with all the other changes. I'll just have to go with a better catalytic converter then. Headers I don't really want to get into or a better throttle body because I'm probably gonna trade it in sometime in the next 2-3 years. I had to get the driver side manifold replaced already which was crazy expensive because the bolts were rusted in and one of the bolt heads snapped off, it was leaking air like crazy. Still have to get the passenger redone but it's holding up pretty good so that's for next year

Old 10-04-2018, 06:31 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Throttle body spacer does nothing on a port fuel injected motor. Some folks have even noted a power LOSS with one installed. (dyno tested)
I believe you, I was just always told it acts as a bigger throttle body (more air)

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge ram 2500 Magnum v8 exhaust, performance, and care